|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||1856|
|First successful climber(s):||Edward Ames, Franz Andenmatten, Johann Imseng|
|Nearest major airport:||Zurich or Geneva|
|Convenient Center:||Saas Fee|
The Allalinhorn is located above the ski slopes of Saas Fee. The building of the Metro Alpin tube train to the Mittel-Allalin (3456 m) just below the North-East Face has turned the mountain into one of the easiest to climb 4000 meter peaks of the Alps. It is about a two hour climb from the top station of the lift to the summit via the North-West Ridge. The North-East Ridge and the North-East Face are included in "Walliser Alpen Die 100 Schoensten Touren" (Walliser Alps the 100 Finest Routes ) by Michel Vaucher with Gaston Rebuffat. The classic East Ridge ( Hohlaubgrat ) is the most popular route from the Britannia Hut.
Thanks to Fred Spicker for this description.
The following weather information is provided for the nearest supported peak. The weather icons reflect weather conditions from the base of the mountain, while the wind, temperature and humidity reflect conditions at the summit.
Weather by meteoexploration.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 69 trip reports for Allalinhorn.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21866 - by Koen on Jan 24, 2010good weather and a lot of people, some 300 meters below the summit people summer skiing
- Log #21732 - by Uwe Dengler on Aug 09, 2009Climbed the Allalinhorn from the Mittel Allalin station. Besides two ceravsses this ascent was faily uncritical. It is an easy snow/ice climb. The view on the summit is spectacular.
- Log #21492 - by Alexander Haupt on Oct 29, 2008Solo ascent from Mittelallalin via "autobahn" (aka normal route). Was the first in the morning and despite being august (high season) a layer of fresh snow from a recent winter intermezzo covered the...
- Log #21479 - by Olimpia Camiz on Oct 21, 2008It was a rather easy climbing, but on the top there was a tremendous wind, so that I could not fully enjoy the spectacular landscape.
- Log #21442 - by Sharon Scaniglia on Sep 18, 2008We were the first to summit that day and met on others on the route apart from a guide with two climbers who we over took on the technical section of the East route from the Britaina Hut. An...
- Log #20901 - by Iubasiu Mihai Leon on July 28, 2007Solitude around,only me and my rope parteners,two climbers. It was the route Hochlaubgrat,on the wall not much wind,before and after the wall climb,it was wind,but good weather. Not deep snow. Good...
- Log #9318 - by Peter Mortelmans on Nov 01, 2004Although the Allalinhorn is known as one of the easysest 4000m peaks in the alps, there is also a very beautiful, and more difficult (AD) traversee: To the top over the NE-ridge and down via...
- Log #9254 - by Roel on Oct 23, 2004Summited via Hohlaubgrat. Very nice climb, especially the short mixte part just below the summit. Luckily we were the first rope to take this part. I hear the views must be great, but I can't comment...
- Log #9255 - by Serge on Aug 13, 2004We were a bit worried about doing this without ropes as everybody else seemed to have some. But still alive... We left the the alpine metro at 8:45 and got there about 2 hours later. The most...
- Log #9256 - by Gottfried Stangl on Aug 12, 2004It was a nice tour. It was very windy and cold. The Prospect was very good.
- Log #9257 - by dai, joe on Aug 10, 2004A bit of a snow plod but great views from the top we set of a bit late so as we were coming down crevasses were opening up and it looked although someone had put a foot though one of the snow bridges.
- Log #9258 - by
heidi on July 26, 2004started from britaniahutte at 4 am. Wonderfull weather. The Holaubgrat is very beautifull. Last few meters to the summit ridge gave us a nice mixed climbing but we were delayed for almost an hour by...
- Log #9259 - by LINDHOLM on July 09, 2004My third attempt on this very easy summit. note that the two former attempts has been out of season. nice views but a bit overcrowded.
- Log #9260 - by Christine Theodorovics on June 24, 2004very windy - great views!
- Log #9261 - by
Lars on Nov 05, 2003A nice trip with best weather conditions.
- Log #9262 - by Leon Meijer on Oct 04, 2003Een prachtige toch met als beloning een gigantisch en schiterend uitzicht op het gehele Monta Rosa gebied!! We, Korien en ik, stonden rond de klok van 12.00uur op de top met een open heldere blauwe...
- Log #9263 - by Christiaan Dielen on Aug 31, 2003I had promised myself this winter, when I was skiing on the Fee Glacier,that this summer I had to come back to go to the top of Allalinhorn. So, the weather for the whole week was nice, why waiting...
- Log #9264 - by isabel Breyer on Aug 30, 2003Allalin Nordwändli( north small wall) on Sunday 3/8. Great weather and great variant to the normal route!!
- Log #9265 - by roger gaff on July 14, 2003Ascent made via the Holaubgrat and descent via the normal route with 'Big Dan' from Inverness. A lovely day out and good rapport with others from Austria!
- Log #9266 - by Klaus Tscherrig on June 08, 2003As a local mountainguide I offer climbs to all 4000 meter peaks in Switzerland. See you soon!
- Log #9267 - by jim en nicole on May 19, 2003eindelijk , onze eerste 4000er mooi weer , volop genieten erg druk op de top what's next ?
- Log #9268 - by huybrecht jean-pierre on Feb 16, 2003Fantastisch weer deze morgen. Allalin ligt te schitteren in de zon. Spijtig van de massa skiers als je juist Mittelallalin verlaten hebt. Heb solo geklommen, gaf geen enkel probleem, je moet alleen...
- Log #9269 - by Tjalling Hoekstra on Nov 24, 2002Alleen de berg op geweest. Had dagen ervoor flink gesneeuwd, dus lekkere verse sneeuw. Was redelijk zonnig weer, maar wel koud en flinke wind. Ongeveer 15 anderen op de berg.
- Log #9270 - by Geoff Trott on Nov 14, 200217/3/71976 Beautiful. Started from Langfluh hut.Slept there after work (I was a lifty). We had a full moon beaming down on a world of new snow, beautiful mountains and glacial forms.
- Log #9271 - by Jo Loughrey and Gordon Bromley on Oct 24, 2002muchos snow! miserable hill, covered in people, the feechopf was the only fun bit, and going down the south ridge was somewhat stupid. cold. too much cheese (bowel problems), took us two days and we...
- Log #9272 - by Darrell Smith on Sep 18, 2002First 4000m peak! Solo ascent of normal route. Fresh snow made for slow progress. Top of clouds at 3500m. Views amazing.
- Log #9273 - by isabel Breyer on Sep 17, 2002Normal route, the weather cloudy but anyhow nice.
- Log #9274 - by Richard Bryant on Sep 09, 2002Quick walk up from the metro station to finish off the week. There and back in 2.5 hours. Probably the easiest 4000er but good burger and chips at the restaurant.
- Log #9275 - by
Angel on Sep 05, 2002A very bland peak as far as technical climbing is concerned, really just a long walk. Afterwards we made our way down to the ski slopes below and took a slide down on our packs witch made up for the...
- Log #9276 - by colin black on Aug 18, 2002Final climb of a 2 week Alpine holiday, summitted via the Houlaubgrat from the Britannia Hut. Superb route, started at 4am and caught the sunrise just as we approached the 1st big shoulder. Left the...
- Log #9277 - by
Otto Schapendonk on Aug 07, 2002Sjors eerste 4000-er. Vanaf bivak boven Taeschhütte. Mooie route tot aan de Feekopf. Daarna ontsierd door de skipistes van Saas Fee.
- Log #9278 - by Mark Smith on July 29, 2002Summitted via the Houlaubgrat from the Britainnia Hut on a perfect day in 3 and quarter hours. Despite the stick this mountain gets c/o the proximity of some things that make it easy, this route is a...
- Log #9279 - by Massimo Liperi on July 11, 2002Climbed via the Hohlaubgrat. Started from Britanniahutte with ski. We left the ski at 3550 m before the first steep ridge. This is my second climb to this peak.
- Log #9280 - by Sergio Camiz on June 09, 2002I was 15 and it was my first high mountain climbing. We started from Britannia-hutte and we climbet through a rock-way. A marvelous weather and a wonderful experience.
- Log #9282 - by Janos Granicz on Feb 28, 2002Karoly Barta - Janos Granicz Our route: Summit route from near the Britannia Hut (our tent) by the Hohlaubgrat; Near the Britannia Hut (our tent) - Hohlaubgrat - Allalinhorn - Feejoch - Felskin -...
- Log #9283 - by Glen Mountfort on Jan 20, 2002A great mountain, nice easy introduction to snow on high mountains and great views.
- Log #9284 - by Charles on Dec 17, 2001My first 4000er but certainly not the last. Climbed it with fairly good weather in autumn. No track but path-finding was easy. We encountered about 4 crevasses and there was one small ice-slope of...
- Log #9285 - by Ben Bonnaerens on Nov 25, 2001Solo climb over the nomal route from Saas Fee. There were no difficulties at that time and the views over the surrounding peaks (Matterhorn) were superb.
- Log #9286 - by Pieter van Ojen on Nov 13, 2001In july 2001 we climb the Allalinhorn from the Brittaniahut over the Northface. It's a very tiring and difficult climb, ice about seventy grades. In the morning it was good wetter, but about...
- Log #9287 - by Pierre on Aug 26, 2001We took the short way from the skislopes at Allalin, till the top. The weather was fine and there was a path from the days before. We took the long way back. We had to cross one crevasse.
- Log #9288 - by David Mercer on Aug 08, 2001Climbed the Hohlaubgrat from the Britannia Hut. Snow slightly soft after rain the day before. No crevasses on the glacier and the upper rock barrier was in poor condition. However, it made an...
- Log #9289 - by Chandra-Luciano Malorni on Aug 05, 2001The way up to this 4000er is short and easy but it's for sure also very beautiful. The view from the top is absolutely excellent, there are not so much 4000 metre peaks in the Alps that you cannot...
- Log #9290 - by Skopas Thanasis on July 30, 2001Allalinhorn from Metro is an easy walk for 2-3 hours to the summit.There were a big crevasse at 3700 m and that was all.From the summit you can see from Bernese Alps to M.Rosa group Matterhorn Dom...
- Log #9291 - by
Ongena Dennis on July 23, 2001It was a fantastic experience. I will surely do this again.
- Log #9292 - by James Wright on Apr 05, 2001From Britannia hut, late start at 7am; summited via Hohlaubgrat with brilliant sunshine and fantastic views. Party of 4 with guide. Planning to go back in early July 2001 and use as acclimatisation...
- Log #9293 - by Frank Sauer on Mar 05, 2001A really nice Skitour ! Take the descente not through the normal route. Keep more right then you will have great powder. Frank
- Log #9294 - by Jan van der Straaten on Dec 18, 2000We did the Hohlaubgrat from the Britanniahütte. The weather was pretty doubtful, quite some dark clouds around. Lots of crevasses down on the glacier. The ascent to the Hohlaubgrat was really steep,...
- Log #9295 - by Martijn Ras on Nov 28, 2000Great short climb with a splendid view!!
- Log #9296 - by john handley on Aug 20, 2000From Tasch hutte via Alphubel feekopf ridge to allalinhorn good altitude training,usually easy F+ but glacier can be very serious in poor snow. Snow ridge to alphubel can be ice so screw belay may be...
- Log #9297 - by Jaka Ortar on Aug 19, 2000It was very beautifle.
- Log #9298 - by luis on Aug 14, 2000Easier than payng metroalpin. I was here with two mountains monsters. The famous Mario and Alberto. Very nice sumit, good for beginers.
- Log #9300 - by Uli on July 28, 2000From Britannia hut; summited via Hohlaubgrat, continued via Feechopf to Alphubel (4206m). Great weather conditions, no clouds. We were a party of six, very strong, members of the DAV (= German Alpine...
- Log #9301 - by Annoni Riccardo on July 24, 2000I got the summit from the Hohlaub ridge, starting at the Britannia Hut. The difficulties arises almost immediately on the glacier (crevasses), then U turn right and go straigth 'til the 40-meters...
- Log #9302 - by Sebastian Haboeck on May 09, 2000Wonderful day, first skitour on a 4000-peak. Ideal for preparing for Mont Blanc on Skis, which successfully happened 2 days later. Easy to go, nearly no risks.
- Log #9303 - by Frank on May 05, 2000Pretty nice in winter. Try the north-west face. Don't forget, it's cold in winter -/- 20 degrees C. on top.
- Log #9304 - by antonio baroncini on Apr 27, 2000it was a ski-tour climbing, not so easy because 50 cms of fresh snow covered the crevasses and the ice in the last part of the climbing. It was also quite dangerous because of the avalanches. In any...
- Log #9305 - by Hans Strand on Apr 17, 2000My second summit. Breithorn was my first. Two pretty easy peaks. Someone, please give me a hint on another easy 4000.
- Log #9306 - by Peter Knost on Mar 13, 2000Hohlaub ridge is very nice! Be careful on the glacier, myself I saw the glacier crevasse from inside..., not fare from Britannia hut
- Log #9307 - by Broennimann on Feb 26, 2000Very little snow, creavasses not yet filled enough for normal spring assent. Use routing crossing left of creavasses to Feejoch.
- Log #9308 - by JAMIE on Jan 05, 2000Great View; easy climb; great breakfast!
- Log #9309 - by Martin Lacina on Dec 09, 1999It was the first peak over 4000m that I reached. I will never forget it, it's like your first girlfriend. It is so beautiful!!
- Log #9310 - by Simon Gwyn Roberts on Dec 08, 1999A good choice for a first Alpine peak. Nip left on the normal route to take in the pleasant little arete and avoid the crowds in the trench.
- Log #9313 - by Bernd Nebendahl on Nov 15, 1999Hohlaubgrat, Traverse to Taeschhut.
- Log #9314 - by Stefan Weber on Oct 01, 1999After a little snowfall one day before there were great conditions. We made the Hohlaub ridge up and the regular route down.
- Log #9315 - by Juergen Wein on Sep 22, 1999A very nice climb on the Holaubgrat. Down the normal route - nice tour.
- Log #9316 - by Roman Meyer on Sep 13, 1999Very easy from Mittel-Allalin, took us 1.5h up and 0.5h down. Brilliant view from the top, Mt.Blanc seemed to be real close.
- Log #9317 - by Chmielewski Jacek on Aug 17, 1999Easy from Mittelallalin station, 4 hours to the top and return.
- Log #9319 - by Andrea Girardi on July 27, 1999Easy ascension with stunning panorama. The following day we made the Stralhorn, and that was easy too, but longer
- Log #9322 - by Fred Spicker on May 16, 1999Ascent via the Hohlaubgrat. The rock step was plastered with snow and ice - not a rock climb on this day. We reached the summit well ahead of any parties coming from Mittel-Allalin. The view down on...