looks like the Swiss kind from
certain angles, it is a beautiful mountain. Located at the top of Sawtooth Ridge, it holds
special affection for many people.
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1899|
|First successful climber(s):||M.R. dempster, Hutcinson, Charles Noble|
|Nearest major airport:||Reno|
|Convenient Center:||Twin Lakes|
Thanks to Bob Willey for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Matterhorn Peak.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #9583 - by Harry Langenbacher on Oct 16, 2004Summited about noon, with Amit, Ted, Janet, and Alan. Beautiful view from the Summit. Sunny, no snow, a bit chilly and windy on top. Car to car in 9 hours flat.
- Log #9584 - by
thenunz on Aug 28, 2003Beautiful, small summit. Difficult time acceding due to 4-6 inches of new snow over the talus. One step forward, two steps back. Glacier was clear and blue ice, nasty slips coming and going.
- Log #9585 - by Jim Taylor on Jan 31, 2003Long day hike. We started with 7 (Jeremy,Jim,Evan,Matt,Aaron,Josh,me) and 3 of us made the summit, Matt, Evan, and me. Took us awhile to figure out which peak was the Matterhorn.
- Log #9586 - by Phil Nowak on Sep 02, 2002I reached the summit at approximately noon on September 1. I say approximately because the view from Matterhorn on a piercingly clear day is inspiring; it abstracts from attention to precise time, at...
- Log #9587 - by Ben House on Aug 17, 2001I am seeking information regarding the summit log atop Matterhorn Peak. My brother-in-law, Larry Schlenker, was killed in a fall this summer while hiking on Matterhorn Peak. The accident was...
- Log #9588 - by DeAnna Tibbs on July 30, 2001Between altitude sickness and that darn scree slope, I was ready to give up! I read Dharma Bums (of course) just before and knew I would regret it, so I went for it. And am so glad that I did! Thanks...
- Log #9589 - by Stan Sattelberg on Dec 07, 2000Our group slpit in half on the usual approach from Twin Lakes. Several of us who were ahead set up our tent near a small lake below the south face and while waiting for the others climbed up the easy...
- Log #9591 - by Mike Sarmiento on Apr 23, 2000I summited via the North Arete. For detailed information regarding the climb, route, and mountain, visit my web page. I wrote three short stories regarding my adventures on this mountain. The final...
- Log #9592 - by rviehmann on Apr 14, 2000approaching the peak, the east facing coulior is not the "East Gully". the East Gully goes climbers left around the peak. the gully on climbers right is steeper and offers better ice. We...