|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||1867|
|First successful climber(s):||W.A.B. Coolidge with Francois and Henri Devouassoud|
|Nearest major airport:||Zurich|
|Convenient Center:||Promontogno, CH or San Martino, Italy|
Pizzo Badile is a
fantastic granite peak that stands out notably from its surroundings. The north side of
the mountain is in Switzerland and the south side is in Italy. The relief is much greater
on the north than on the south. Views of the north side of the peak are striking from any
angle. The long North Ridge is has been described as one of the best rock climbs of its
grade in the Alps (UIAA III & IV with two places of IV+). The Northeast Face is a
famous and much sought after climb with a rich history. Routes on the south side of the
peak are not as long, but are of high quality and in a spectacular alpine environment.
Because of its relatively modest elevation and the "pure rock" nature of its
routes, many people underestimate the potential for, and the effects of severe weather on
Badile. Many fatalities have resulted. One should read the account of the first ascent of
the Northeast Face to be reminded.
Seven different routes on Pizzo Badile are included in "Bernina / Bergell Die 100
Schoensten Touren" ( Bernina / Bergell the 100 Finest Routes ) by Giuseppe Miotti and
Alessandro Gogna with Gaston Rebuffat.
Thanks to Fred Spicker for this description.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 10 trip reports for Pizzo Badile.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22264 - by Corvus on Dec 10, 2011Normal route from Bagni Masino. Perfect weather conditions for a nice climbing. Panorama from the summit simply fantastic. No climbers on the route.
- Log #9766 - by
Fabio Rossi on Aug 03, 2004Splendida salita dello spigolo Nord con tempo stupendo. Discesa dal versante italiano per le doppie nuove: al termine della prima doppia, l'anello per la seconda si trova dietro lo spigolo della...
- Log #9768 - by Thomas Weghofer on Aug 02, 2004The way up over the "North Ridge" was long but not to hard, beautiful weather and the famous Bregalia-rock promised an unforgetable day. Indeed it was an unforgetable day!
- Log #9769 - by Kristaps Liepins on Aug 25, 2000Cassin Route (NE Face, TD, V+ A0) with some variation in the middle of the route (VI, A1).
- Log #9770 - by Normunds on Aug 16, 2000We - Kristaps Liepins and Normunds Lisovskis from Latvia - climbed Cassin Route on NE face of Badile. Good idea - if you want to complete route during a day - do not use hut. We put tent just in a...
- Log #9771 - by Schena Matteo on July 27, 2000Spigolo N e discesa dalla "normale", versante italiano. Bellissimo, facile.....ma lungo !
- Log #9772 - by M.C.Arthur & I.Appuhamy on July 26, 2000bivi AT 'the notch' its long - carry water.
- Log #9774 - by
Rossi Fabio on Nov 17, 1999Salito lo spigolo Nord con discesa in Val Masino. Insieme a Mao ed Erica ( 50° corso CAI ) Ë stata un'escursione/arrampicata fantastica in ogni suo aspetto ( a parte il tempo record impiegato : 23...
- Log #9775 - by Glauco Bianchi on Sep 14, 1999Salita per lo spigolo Nord e discesa sul versante italiano; lunga e bellissima!!
- Log #9776 - by Fred Spicker on June 07, 1999Ascent via the North Ridge - about 1000 m of the most enjoyable granite in the Alps! We descended the south side of the peak, but lost the "normal" route part way down and ended up on a...