|Range/Region:||Central Colorado Ranges|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Denver|
Thanks to Kirk Mallory for adding this peak.
Mt. Bross has a huge rounded summit. It is often climbed from Kite Lake with Mt. Democrat and Mt. Lincoln, and can also be approached from the east via the Quartzville Creek drainage.
Additional text submitted by BJ Bjorklund:
This peak is a rounded summit and is mostly trails. Usually climbed in the same day after climbing Democrat and Lincoln. This is the easiest of the 3 summits. Most people camp at Kite Lake or below, so if you do Democrat and Lincoln, Bross is on the way home. Very east summit, but I never found a good trail back to Kite Lake. Descent was rocky and required most caution to avoid being hit by falling rocks from other climbers.
Thanks to Kirk Mallory for this description.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: Central Colorado Ranges, Rocky Mountains, or North America. For more information, see our Google Earth page.
The following weather information is provided for the nearest supported peak. The weather icons reflect weather conditions from the base of the mountain, while the wind, temperature and humidity reflect conditions at the summit.
Weather by meteoexploration.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 44 trip reports for Mount Bross.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21106 - by Matt Loscalzo on Dec 05, 2007Rode my mountain bike up. Started in Alma, road up some dirt road that connected to the summit. Encountered a lot of vehicles that thought I was crazy and offered to give me a ride. Thanks, but no...
- Log #20872 - by Peter, Linda & Ben Alexander on July 12, 2007We camped at Kite lake, started up around 6 a.m., and after climbing Democrat-Cameron-Lincoln-Bross, made it back to camp around 2:30. The climb is arduous but not difficult; however, the descent...
- Log #9975 - by Patrick L. Lilly on Sep 19, 2004After climbing Mt. Democrat and Mt. Lincoln, daughter Trisha and I rejoined the other half of our party, wife Suzanne and granddaughter Amber, near the Bross/Cameron saddle for lunch. (See separate...
- Log #9976 - by Marc M on Sep 04, 2004After my Mt Lincoln Summit there was still 80mph winds on Mt Bross Summit. If you have AOL you can look at all my pictures in my profile. Best Wishes
- Log #9977 - by joseph Caulkins on Aug 23, 2004Did this along with Lincoln and Democrat. Got caught in a white out at the summit and had to go down the scree field everyone talks about. Very loose and slippery and faster than I would have liked.
- Log #9978 - by Karen on July 25, 2004An "odd" mountain I'd call it- watched 2 SUV's & 3 motor-cross bikes climb to the summit... which by the way, is the size of a football field- crazy! The rocky terrain seemed very...
- Log #9979 - by Steve adn Jessica Ochoa on May 05, 2004Real good workout. Rated a class 1. I gotta rate it a 2. Coming from Texas, the elevation added more strain to the hike than I expected.
- Log #9980 - by Carl E. Helton on Apr 21, 2004Did the Democrat, Lincoln & Bross climb feeling MUCH better than hiking Quandary two days before. Could have asked for better weather!
- Log #9981 - by
Kyle Davidson on Nov 09, 2003Very relaxing and enjoyable hike from Lincoln. Encountered some very strong wind on the summit. The descent off of Bross was very fun and exciting running and skiing down the scree. This was one of...
- Log #9982 - by Brenda S. Brackmann on Sep 26, 2003Hiked this 14er on a weekday with my friend, Lynda, starting out from Kite Lake at 7:30am. Uneventful hike other than strong winds the entire way up the mountain and most of the way down. Summited...
- Log #9983 - by Kevin and Jenni Baker on Sep 20, 2003The Democrat, Lincoln, Bross trifecta is supposed to be one of the easiest multi-14'er traverses, but not on this day. The wind was brutal on an otherwise pleasant day. I parked my car on Kite Lake...
- Log #9984 - by Todd Brubaker on Aug 11, 2003Started from below Kite Lake to the top...took about two hours to the summit, an hour and 10 mins down. Take the trail directly from Kite Lake up the W/SW slopes of Bross. I would recommend stayinig...
- Log #9985 - by Charles W. Miller Ph.D. on Aug 04, 2003Easy add-on after Lincoln.
- Log #9986 - by Jason on July 08, 2003My 2nd 14er, did it in conjunction with Cameron. Very fun climb up but a sketchy descent.
- Log #9987 - by Candice Craun on July 05, 2003Drink lots of water, and take it easy.
- Log #9988 - by Shawn Voigts on Sep 23, 2002Great view and a fun way to get three 14er's. 14er number eight for this Iowa Flatlander.
- Log #9989 - by Daniel Fortun on Sep 04, 2002Easy hike over from the other two 14ers. Went down the steep ravine--not too bad.
- Log #9990 - by Vaso Bjegovich on Sep 02, 2002Very easy hike. Going down Bross was a bit challenging but fun. We hiked Lincoln, Democrat and Cameron on same day ending with this one.
- Log #9991 - by Larry Mergentime on Aug 20, 2002We did all four peaks on this day starting with Democrat, then to Cameron, Lincoln, and winding up with Bross. At first approach Bross seemed like a wise gentle old man in the autumn of his life...
- Log #9992 - by Yvonne Easter Driggers on Aug 20, 2002To celebrate my 72nd birthday. My 10th 14-er - including Cameron - a true 14-er.
- Log #9993 - by Aaron Batte on June 12, 2002From the Quartzville Creek trailhead headed up Lincoln. Skirted below the cliff band Southeast of Lincoln and came up on the east shoulder. Lots of snow from a storm earlier in the week (ice axe came...
- Log #9994 - by Donald W. McCulloch on Mar 20, 2002Cameron, Lincoln and Bross. Always carry plenty of water.
- Log #9995 - by Christopher Dorry on Nov 24, 2001Climb completed with Shawn Dorry via Mt. Lincoln. #8
- Log #9996 - by Dave Underwood on Oct 24, 2001My kids - Kacey and Zack - fought high wind and bitter cold en route to the summit from the Bross-Cameron saddle. The only good thing about windy days is that they typically clean up the air, making...
- Log #9997 - by
Brian Ward on Sep 25, 2001Hit this puppy on the way down from Lincoln. It's a relatively easy ridge walk from Lincoln to Bross, with the last quarter mile on various old jeep roads. Not the most spectacular 14er, but unique...
- Log #9998 - by barb merchant on July 22, 2001This is my second time to the peak of Mt. Bross== weather permitting the next visit I would like to hike over to Mt. Lincoln but we were beginning to get rain and sleet at the summit so we decided to...
- Log #9999 - by Marc Theberge on July 22, 2001Relatively easy traverse across saddle between Cameron and Bross to the summit with magnificent views throughout. Overall a great way to bag 3 fourteeners in one day!
- Log #10000 - by Larry Pedigo on July 15, 2001Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross. Lots o' fun. Foggy and quite windy at times. We started at 5:30 a.
- Log #10008 - by
matt kirk on Nov 03, 2000Greetings 14er climbers and enthusiasts. I just wanted to let everyone know that there should be a 14ers forum coming soon at http://www.trailjournals.com. If you have the time, please come by and...
- Log #10001 - by AG Werschky on Oct 04, 2000If you can find the trail down take it. Taking the scree down (large scree about 6in - 1 ft) hurts and takes a long time. We think we found the trail down...it's farther towards kite lake that you...
- Log #10002 - by
Steven Tree on Sep 22, 2000fun climb. Easy place to get 3 14ers. Or 4 14ers if consider cameron a 14er.
- Log #10004 - by Matt Horton on Aug 18, 2000Very easy hike did the 3 banger hike Democrat and Lincoln with Bross But found getting off Bross very hard, no easy way down. If you are only a weekend hiker I would recommend going back the way you...
- Log #10005 - by Wayne R Smith on July 17, 2000I suggest Lincoln and Democrat also easy hat trick for one day.
- Log #10006 - by Miles Heritage on July 16, 2000Great Climb The three banger hike puts you in the sky ALL DAY!
- Log #10009 - by Jon Bradford on July 05, 2000fourteener number 5. climbed along with democrat and lincoln. terrifing descent back to kite lake.
- Log #10010 - by Matt Sherman on June 27, 2000We did the triple that day in 6.5 hours. Fairly easy climb with Bross being the last of the three mountains. Bross did seem to be a big hill though and was not much of a challenge it you are already...
- Log #10007 - by BJ Bjorklund on June 12, 2000An easy rounded summit... took the trail after climbing Democrat and Lincoln. Descent was the hardest part of climb as there was much loose rock. Maybe there was a trail, but most (including myself)...
- Log #10011 - by Sean Reed on Apr 16, 2000It's not a bad hike, pretty fun but nothing like most of the other Colorado 14ers. Mostly because Bross is like a hill compared to most 14ers. Still a fun hike though. #9
- Log #10012 - by Kevin on Feb 26, 2000Nice Peak. Did the Triple Peak combo this day. Mt. Democrat was the only one that was challenging, the other 2 (Lincoln and Bross) were easy since we were already above 13000'. Total trip time was 9...
- Log #10013 - by Dave Thorson on Jan 18, 2000Returning to Kite Lake, either descend the gully from the Bross-Cameron saddle or follow the obvious trail all the way around to the next major gully. Every year, Park County Search and Rescue has to...
- Log #10014 - by Michael Jake on Dec 17, 1999Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross - Nice charge down some STEEP scree on Bross!
- Log #10015 - by
Ken Hege on Nov 28, 1999Climbed Bross, Democrat and Lincoln. The mosquitos are very bad this time of year.
- Log #10017 - by Jim Thompson on June 29, 1999A nice hike, suprisingly cold for August. I met some people from Breckinridge that told me about the hotel with the hot tub for $5. Also I picked up with some guys from MO that wrote the name of...
- Log #10019 - by
Kirk Mallory on June 08, 1999First climbed Mt. Bross with Mt. Democrat, Mt. Cameron, and Mt.