|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1492|
|First successful climber(s):||Antoine de Ville|
|Nearest major airport:||Grenoble or Lyon, France|
|Convenient Center:||Grenoble, France|
Mont Aiguille is a giant rock structure, with vertical walls and a flat top. It is located just 36 miles southwest of the town of Grenoble. It is best known for its first climb, made by Antoine de Ville de Dompjulien, a servant of Charles VIII, under orders from his master. De Ville made the ascent using ladders and other artificial aids, thus making Mont Aiguille the site of the first Alpine rock climb, a feat which was not repeated on Mont Aiguille until 1834, 342 years later.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Mont Aiguille.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #7 - by APG on Nov 05, 2003Good solid climb. We had good conditions all around. I hope to return to the area one day.
- Log #8 - by Florian Furrer und Johannes M Brainys) on Aug 10, 2003Mutig stiegen wir (2 junge Burschen 18, 20) am 17.7.2003 nachmittags zum Biwakplatz direkt unter dem Felsen mit je 20 Kilo Gepäck am Rücken (Wasser, Holz, Ravioli usw.)Nach einer kurzen Suche nach...
- Log #9 - by Remco Verdoold on Mar 30, 2000I reached the top but I had a terible accident a few meters below the summit so I was brought to Grenoble hospital with a helicopter from the summit.
- Log #10 - by Martin & Will Sanderson on Mar 29, 2000The voie normal in both ascent and descent works well. The views and climbing are tremendous for what amounts to a V Diff. 50 m 11mm rope and slings are needed. Sacks can be stowed and the climb...
- Log #11 - by Ciparisse Pierre on Aug 22, 1999Follow route "Tour des Gemeaux": Mix of old and new equipment but enough. Rappel possible nearly on each relay. Max difficulty 5+ (french cotation) 150m of good rock and then 50m of bad...
- Log #12 - by Hans Hulsbos on July 05, 1999This was very nice to do. My mate, George Verhaegen and I summited Le Mont Aiguille May 25th, 1999. An old wish (we are over 50) came through. We prepared well and read everything we could on the WEB.
- Log #13 - by Didier Rechatin on Sep 20, 199824 people on top at the same time during this evening between July and August. most of them had never climber before ! We had decided to stay overnight on top of the peak. We carried wood (for the...