Mt Craig is the second highest mountain east of the Mississippi River, just 39 feet lower than Mt Mitchell (6684'). Both peaks belong to the spur known as the Black Mountain Range, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can see Mt Craig right next to Mt Mitchell, and the Mt Craig summit is a moderate two-mile roundtrip hike from the Mt Mitchell State Park parking area. Both mountains have a Canadian-type forest above 6000 feet, with spruce and balsam fir trees.
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Nearest major airport:||Asheville|
Thanks to Dale Kolsan for adding this peak.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Mount Craig.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21232 - by M.L. Devall on Mar 28, 2008Due to the summit of Mount Mitchell being closed, I decided to take the 45-minute hike over to Mount Craig for a surrounding view. Although the viewpoint east atop Mount Craig is practically obscured...
- Log #10345 - by Rick on Oct 20, 2002Excellent hike! The view is tremendous. For us it started off cold the warmed up. Better to hike with less clothing to start (the work out will warm ya up). Bring extra along once you've cooled down.
- Log #10346 - by Gary Fulton on Aug 26, 2001"Climbed over from Mt. Mitchell with my three kids, Mark, Dani, and Bradley. Had a great time, the weather was perfect with clear skies and cool temps. It took us about a hour and half to go...
- Log #10347 - by Justin Stallings on July 11, 2000I love to hike Mt.Craig!! My familiy and I go to Mt.Mitchell every year. Infact I am leaving tomorrow.
- Log #10348 - by Robert Miller on July 09, 2000I climbed it the first time on July 15,1995. Since then I have been over there and beyond 3 or 4 times, maybe more. Its is a great short hike and never takes more than 40 minutes one way. It is a...
- Log #10349 - by Marvin Watts on Sep 04, 1999Mt. Craig has beautiful views of the Blue Ridge. Very rocky. Beware going over from Mt. mitchell during storms.
- Log #10350 - by
Dale Kolsan on Aug 14, 1999I plan to make the 2-mile roundtrip hike to Mt Craig sometime in the near future. The summit can be seen from the tower on Mt Mitchell.