|Best months for climbing:||Feb, Apr, May, Jun, Nov, Dec|
|First successful climber(s):||Norman Collie|
|Nearest major airport:||Glasgow Int.|
|Convenient Center:||Fort William|
Thanks to R. DULIEU for adding this peak.
The Big Shepherd is a beautiful mountain, a huge pyramid of clean rock. It is a perfect playground for climbers in both winter and summer, and has been frequently at the forefront of technical climbing in the UK in both pre and post war golden ages. Not to be underestimated (fatalities are regular). It provides a challenge to everyone of whatever ability, and is the nearest thing we have to the layman's perception of a pyramid peak. It is not the highest in the UK, but it must rank as one of the best.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Buachaille Etive Mor.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #10534 - by
Not a rock climber on Apr 23, 2003When we got to the top there were about 100 borstal boys ahead of us on a day out from jail so we ran back down again!! - great scree run.
- Log #10533 - by dave & caroline on Apr 22, 2003wot a climb, every step a painful one .we walked from Glencoe camp site to the base, then climbed this very elegant lady.we decided to stay off the path & make our own route,but as we were...
- Log #10535 - by Luke Walker on June 04, 2002A beautiful mountain, we did the curved ridge, took us up alongside the Rannoch Wall, easy scrambling and a short snow gully to the top. Then a fantastic walk along the ridge and down into the...
- Log #10536 - by Richard Bryant on Jan 29, 2002Climbed by both Curved Ridge and Crowberry gully. Both routes exiting and testing for a fairly inexperienced winter climber like me. Lots of exposure on Curved Ridge made to feel worse by gale force...
- Log #10537 - by Tim Gingell on Aug 11, 2000A very good exposed scramble up curved ridge with good company and a very good clear view from the summit. A truly beautiful mountain
- Log #10538 - by Nick Coward on Apr 25, 2000Great climb, especially during the winter, great for a bit of Ice axe and crampon work. Not very technical but good fun. However on our last assent we were nearly knocked the main route of by a...
- Log #10539 - by foinaven on Sep 06, 1999Excellent rock climbing - Agags Groove on Rannoch wall is one of the best. Tremendous exposure for a V.Diff.
- Log #10540 - by Benny on July 28, 1999Climbed the gully in Winter with Tony, it was rather windy. On the way down we decided to bumslide like R.DULIEU, however Toe did not know how to axe break and, fearing the worst, threw his axe away....
- Log #10541 - by R.DULIEU on July 27, 1999CLIMBED THIS ABOUT 20 TIMES BY VARIOUS ROUTES, IT NEVER FAILS TO BOTH DELIGHT AND SUPRISE, WE ONCE SOLOED GREAT GULLY IN PERFECT WATER ICE CONDITION AND IT WAS FANTASTIC, GOOD EXPOSURE, QUALITY ICE...