|Range/Region:||San Juan Mountains|
|Year first climbed:||1874|
|First successful climber(s):||Hayden Survey (first recorded)|
|Nearest major airport:||Gunnison or Durango|
|Convenient Center:||Lake City|
Thanks to Kirk Mallory for adding this peak.
Sunshine Peak is Colorado's lowest fourteener at 14,001 feet. Most climbers climb Sunshine Peak after climbing Redcloud Peak, and often reclimb Redcloud to begin the descent back to the Silver Creek Trailhead.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 11 trip reports for Sunshine Peak.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22235 - by Stephen Klemich on Aug 18, 2011snow still on the hill in May. Needed crampons. not technical.
- Log #10935 - by Kara Diamond- Husmann on Aug 02, 2004We made the traverse from Redcloud. It was an easy traverse. the views from these two peaks were amazing. the hike in and out is a beautiful adventure.
- Log #10936 - by
Steven Cross on Mar 21, 20047th fourteener. Hiked over redcloud and descended at the sign that reads, "Dangerouse descent, return to Redcloud." Great descent, i'd recommend it.
- Log #10937 - by
Chris on Oct 08, 2003Easy traverse from Redcloud. Sat a while on the ridge and enjoyed the view, ate, and relaxed. It started clouding up but never did rain.
- Log #10938 - by Mateo on July 24, 2003After missing a turn near Silverton at midnight, this trip began with an unintended trip over Cinnamon Pass in my new Subaru. The confusion continued as I lost my route on the steep scree below the...
- Log #10939 - by ed rin on Nov 25, 2002Solo trek to summit- could feel my heart pounding in my neck-- being from sea level and all, solo and being next to God! Drive from lake city on shelf road was also aw-inspiring
- Log #10940 - by
Chris Long on Aug 24, 2001Trip report with pics at www.mtngoat14k.com
- Log #10941 - by John Collard on July 26, 2001Redcloud was #7 and Sunshine was #8 and although it was overcast, the views were beautiful.
- Log #10942 - by
Matt Kirk on Nov 03, 2000Greetings 14er climbers and enthusiasts. I just wanted to let everyone know that there should be a 14ers forum coming soon at http://www.trailjournals.com. If you have the time, please come by and...
- Log #10943 - by Matt kirk on June 26, 2000Via the connecting ridge ("cheat ridge") from redcloud. The 1 mile long ridge walk from Redcloud to sunshine is easy class 2 on a worn trail. It was fun to spend so much time above 13,000...
- Log #10944 - by
Kirk Mallory on Aug 13, 1999My second San Juan peak (after Redcloud). Used the Silver Creek trail to Redcloud, then to Sunshine, then descended back over Redcloud. The hike took 7 hours.