Cima Grande is the highest peak of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo Group, and one of the most famous peaks of the Dolomites. It is a sheer cliff with serious overhang. Its massive North Face provides some of the most intense rock climbing in the world. The direct ascent of the face is a classic climb, with few cracks or chimneys, and was widely believed to be impossible until it was finally climbed in 1958 by Dietrich Hasse.
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1869|
|First successful climber(s):||P. Grogmann, F. Innerkofter, P. Salcher|
|Nearest major airport:||Venice, Italy|
|Convenient Center:||Sesto or Lake Misurina, Italy|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 12 trip reports for Cima Grande.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #866 - by Patrick Deykers on Sep 09, 2003Succesfully climbed the Comici route, UIAA 7, 6b.
- Log #867 - by Armando Corvini on Sep 08, 2003Cima Grande di Lavaredo.Summited by the NE ridge, Stubler/Dibona route. Hight 500m grade 4. Very exposed, with some loose rocks toward the summit.
- Log #868 - by Armando Corvini on Sep 08, 2003I meet up with Armando Galvani from Trieste. We climbed the North Face- Comici Route. This was my second time as I climbed first in 1959. Great Route.
- Log #869 - by Armando Corvini on Sep 08, 2003Bruno and I climbed the North Face - Comici Route It was late in September, no other climbers on the Route. It was my first grade 6,as leader. I lead every pitch. The Route was superb on good rock...
- Log #870 - by bart cockx on Dec 14, 2002Did the normal route twice in very different conditions. When wet the crux-chimney is a little stressy and not nice. In good conditions this is a very nice climb in a relaxed, enjoyable atmosphere....
- Log #871 - by Michael Spring on June 28, 2002Via the north face - Comici route. Took 2 days but thoroughly enjojed it. The bivock halfway up was the most superb nights I have ever spent on a mountain and I still remember it after 37 years.
- Log #872 - by Sergio Camiz on June 10, 2002I was 15 it was and my first climbing on pure rocks. Very easy.
- Log #873 - by MartinLascano on Mar 10, 2002Le Ciama es imponente. Escalamos la via Comici en 3hs. es una ruta facil y mayormente la escalamos sin cuerda, la dificultad no supera el IV+.
- Log #874 - by baczoni Andres on July 29, 2001I climbed with my brother in the south face of Cima Grande. It was a beautiful climbing. If you want some information please send me an e-mail. Sziasztok!!!
- Log #875 - by JORDI ROSET I LLOBET on Feb 17, 2000Via Comici. 6Hours. How the climbed this routes on that date? Is really incredible.
- Log #876 - by mike on Jan 31, 2000My wife and I will be travelling to Northern Italy in the summer of 2001. Our interests include climbing some of classic yet moderate climbs and peaks as well as experiencing Tyrolean culture. would...
- Log #877 - by Elwin van der Gragt on Apr 27, 1999Ascent via N-Face 'Comici' Route very much relaxt sports-climbing athmosphere. Easy routefinding, good rock. Crux section should be UIAA 7 (fr. 6b). Overrated.