|Range/Region:||Great Basin Ranges|
|Best months for climbing:||Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov|
|Nearest major airport:||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Convenient Center:||Las Vegas, Nevada|
Thanks to Adam Martin for adding this peak.
8.6 miles to summit on south loop, 10+ miles to summit on north loop. south loop begins very steep. the first two miles are especially hard. The first half of the south loop is in wooded area with shade. Mostly hot temp. There's one campsite on the trail that is pretty well maintained. above treeline, the temp. soars. There is an open meadow to cross and then nothing but rock and dirt all the
way to summit. There is plane wreckage close to summit and a log book on top. From the summit, 4 states can be seen; NV, CA, UT, and AZ. This is also a great view point overlooking Las Vegas. The 5th tallest peak in NV.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Mount Charleston.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21474 - by Mike on Oct 15, 2008Not sure why this non-technical route isn't more popular; fall colors of deciduous foliage in first two miles were stunning, and nice view of Death Valley and Area 51. I took it in 7 hours...
- Log #21184 - by mark bailey on Feb 09, 2008Started at 5 in the morning to miss the heat started from the southern side great walk up,wind was blowing hard as we crossed the Scree about 60 miles per hour on the top walked the north loop off.
- Log #10992 - by Steve Evans on Aug 05, 2003North Loop Trail to the summit. Descent via South Loop Trail. 20 miles overall. Despite my extensive mountaineering experience, I underestimated this one! Kicked my butt.
- Log #10993 - by rcorby2 on June 03, 2002Summit day was absolutely perfect - little to no wind, few clouds, and great views! Spent the nite prior on the North tracking ridge with a great view of the summit from 'high' camp.
- Log #10994 - by Thomas Hawley on June 17, 2001Started as party of 12. Two dropped out and six raced ahead, so I was in a group of four. We started from the Trail Canyon trailhead (which merges with the North Loop Trail) off Echo Road at 6:20 AM....
- Log #10995 - by desert rat on Aug 24, 2000used the Trail Canyon/North Loop option to get to the top...fantastic trail quality and grade...snow will easily linger into June, obscuring trail at the higher areas...the 10-12 hour RT time...
- Log #10996 - by Tom Howard on Aug 06, 2000I finally reached the peak of Mt Charleston today. I had knee surgery in April and this was a special goal for me..I started at 4:00am..reached the peak at 12:30am.
- Log #10997 - by pmiller on Aug 05, 2000No matter how inviting, do not attempt to shortcut the north trail by the huge snow gully that runs down from it. Be afraid, be very afraid of an unplanned bivy.
- Log #10998 - by John Cline on Aug 20, 1999I was a scout master of a boy scout troop from Henderson NV and we took around 15 people on a overnight trip. We hiked up around 2 miles and camped then the next morning we hiked to the top of...