I climbed this peak together with my wife during a weekend in early July 1999. The walk starts in Zinal, which is in a valley next to the Zermatt Valey, at 1675m. You walk trough the 'alpages', where the cows graze up to the "Cabane the Tracuit" where you will spend the night. the hut is situated on a rocky ridge with several nice views at an altitude of about 3200m. After a night of sleep you will leave at 6am in order to walk up to the summit of the Bishorn, which is about 900m higher. It is one of the easiest 4000m mountain in the alps, but be aware of crevasses and please wear crampons, even when a lot of people don't. Have a nice ascent.....
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneve / Sion|
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 21 trip reports for Bishorn.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21860 - by Koen on Jan 24, 2010Started from Cabane de Traquit to the summit and back in less than 4 hours, beware of hidden crevasses near the hut!
- Log #21680 - by J. Vranjes on May 20, 2009Climbing Bishorn is a pleasant two-day trip. I climbed it on July 25, 2007. Started from Zinal. There is a place to the south of the village where climbers leave cars, not official parking but...
- Log #21402 - by Christine Theodorovics on Aug 28, 2008Very nice, but windy day for the climb. Started early and enjoyed the great view to the Weisshorn.
- Log #11072 - by Hallbjørn Staurset on Oct 08, 2004Long trip from zinal valley, but a wonderful view around the footpath up to cabine de traquite. Easy way up to the summit, with a fantastic view to the further ridge to Weisshorn and the summits...
- Log #11073 - by
Andre de Jonge on Aug 27, 2004let op de spleten!! voor ons is iemand in een spleet gevallen. we hebben nog geholpen om hem weer op de benen te helpen. Verder een mooie berg en niet zo moeilijk verder. adj.
- Log #11074 - by carlos antonio pardo abadias on Nov 14, 2003Oppositte of we thought it was a very dangerous climb due to the crevasses. We had to jump lots of crevasses and fortunately i fell in one only half body and i was able to get out by myself. The rest...
- Log #11076 - by roger gaff on Aug 27, 2003From the Tracuit Hut a pleasant ascent was had giving eventually beautiful views of the Eastern side of the Weisshorn. with DW,SH and DMcD from speyside.
- Log #11077 - by Arnaud on June 29, 2003whit UCPA france: where on the top that day at 09h00, Agnes, Bertrand, Xavier, Philippe, Marc, Thibaut, Xavier, Ingrid, Arnaud. special thanx to our guide Gilles
- Log #11078 - by Doug Scott on May 13, 2003I climbed the Bishorn in July 2002 with my dad. It was our first major trip to the alps and we had no previous experience of alpine climbing. However we heard about how easy the ascent was, hired...
- Log #11079 - by Jean-Bernard Desfayes on May 07, 2003Thursday before Easter. Without a cloud in the Sky. Sixty miles (at least) visibility. The view of the near Weisshorn was fantastic.
- Log #11080 - by bart cockx on July 18, 2002Did the north face one day after the north face of Bruneckhorn wich is also quiet nice. We had to keep left because off falling serracs. Fresh snow covered the rock-part in the first part of the...
- Log #11081 - by
Kenneth on July 01, 2002Hi All, Just to let ye all know that Climbing is fun, The Bishorn might be easy, be aware of the Crevasses. Even with a lot of snow... The danger is just below the top when you turn right for the...
- Log #11082 - by Wim Schollaert on Nov 01, 2001Easy route from the Cabane de Tracuit. Nice wheather and a breathtaking view on the Weisshorn and the Mont Blanc massif. Our next target, within a month
- Log #11083 - by
Ben on Aug 29, 2001Great view from the top of Weisshorn. worth taking a light pack down as the descent from top to valley in 1 day after the climb can feel a bit long. Nice snow plod. 3hrs from hut to top.
- Log #11084 - by Jean-Christophe Cardon on Aug 23, 2001Superbe panorama ! Et surtout une vue impressionnante sur le Weisshorn. Ascension dans la poudreuse : 3h15 depuis la Cabane de Tracuit.
- Log #11085 - by JOHN CAMPBELL MENZIES on Aug 18, 2001The views from the summit were fantastic. There were only some of the 4000metre peaks visible above thick cloud. The views of the Weisshorn are tremendous.
- Log #11086 - by Jo?o Ary on July 25, 2001I have been climbing in the Alps for the last ten years but this was my first "4000". The wheather was magnificent.
- Log #11087 - by
Strobel, Oliver on Apr 21, 2001ski ascent. Easy, but very beautiful tour.
- Log #11088 - by bouke a. grijseels on Nov 10, 2000nice mauntain, with a beatiful view over other mauntains as weisshorn. it is not very difficult.
- Log #11089 - by Davide Donadio on Aug 21, 2000Climbed the NE wall.
- Log #11090 - by Geurt van Rennes on Jan 15, 2000Nice trip. Not difficult. Good for beginners on high mountains.