Pico de Orizaba Trip Report (#19189)
- Signed By: John Huffman of Seattle, WA, USA
- Date submitted: September 27, 2006
- Date(s) climbed: 1/17/05 to 1/18/05
- Number of People Encountered:11-25 people
- Recommend to a Friend: Highly
Summited via the Espolón de Oro (ridge of gold) variation of the north face route. We encountered extremely icy conditions, which turned an easy climb into a faily technical one. The route was pretty classic though, and very enjoyable. We experienced temperatures from 5-28 degrees Fahrenheit.
We left Piedre Grande at 1:00 AM and summitted at 9:00 AM 8 hours later. Popo and Izta were visible from the summit as it was a fairly clear day. We descended via roughly the same route.