Cime du Glas is the highest peak of the French national park of Mercantour .From Nice, go to the Vȳubie valley .Once in the little town of Saint Martin Vȳubie, take the little route to the Madone de Fenestre, a sanctuary at 2000 meters, which is the starting point of the ascent. There is a hut of the Club Alpin Fran?is where you can sleep and eat. The normal way
requires a basic experience of climbing, but I strongly suggest to cross the ridges, which demands some more experience of using a rope .The sight from the summit is wonderful, from the North of the Alps (Matterhorn, Monte Rosa), the Monte Viso to the Mediterranean sea.
For further details, write-me an email .
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1864|
|First successful climber(s):||Paolo di St Robert|
|Nearest major airport:||Nice Cٴe d'Azur (Nice)|
|Convenient Center:||Saint Martin Vȳubie|
Thanks to Charles Catherin for adding this peak.
Sorry, we don't currently have the latitude and longitude of Cime du Glas in our database. Therefore we can't show this peak on a map.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Cime du Glas.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #11311 - by Edoardo Cervella on Jan 14, 2004Don't forget the italian side of this little king of southern Alps (you can see it in the second image joined in the gallery). This side is completely north-faced, so you can climb and slide down...
- Log #11316 - by Simon Gwyn Roberts on Nov 21, 2003Use the normal route only in descent - and then with care! Its loose and unpleasant. In contrast, the ridge to 'le balcon' is exposed, solid and great fun.
- Log #11315 - by Simon Gwyn Roberts on Nov 20, 2003Only use the normal route for descent - its loose and unpleasant. In contrast, the ridge to 'le balcon' is solid, exposed and excellent.
- Log #11312 - by Andrew Tristram on Oct 02, 2002Climbed by the normal couloir then to Balcone by N ridge, both made more interesting by early snow.
- Log #11314 - by Anna & Maurizio Billo on Sep 17, 2000From Ref. Pagar. Climbed by the normal route (fenetre du Gelas). Descent to Balcone N ridge less dangerous than normal route.