Ben Macdui is the second highest hill in Scotland after Ben Nevis. There are also 3 other peaks above 4000ft. The summits are the highest points of the plateau. There are huge cliffs, and many snowfields last through the summer. This area is infamous for its bad weather. Although the walk is easy, you have to be aware of that. Sadly this mountain group called the Cairngorms is now a popular skiing area in winter.
|Nearest major airport:||Aberdeen / Glasgow|
|Convenient Center:||Aviemore / Braemar|
Thanks to Frank Verwijs for adding this peak.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom, Ireland, & Iceland, or Europe. For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Ben Macdui.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #18948 - by Johnny Emsden on May 13, 2005Beautiful mountain set on wonderful and remote plateau . met 2 people all day , navigation hard mostly in cloud and snow .. great day ! would have been easy to get lost and benighted though !!
- Log #11318 - by G. Beardwood / P.Jackson/ J. Knight on Nov 22, 2003Although November deep snow drifts around the summit very cold. It was tough going on the boulder scree approaching from Ceann Crionn Carn a'Mhaim due to gusting winds. Tricky descent in the dark to...
- Log #11319 - by Sam S on July 02, 2002Climbed up the Lurcher's Crag and then trekked over plateau to the summit in SEVERE winter conditions. A total whiteout, very high winds and temperatures well into the minuses made this much more...
- Log #11320 - by Ben Clowes on Oct 01, 2001The views are fantastic when clear. In cloud take careful compass bearings. Weather can change very quickly..
- Log #11321 - by Doug Reid on Feb 09, 2001This can be a treacherous Peak!!! I am Scottish & volunteered to accompany my friend Malcolm Sargent, an Englishman to the Cairngorms....He had the orienteering experience which was just as...
- Log #11322 - by R.DULIEU on Sep 06, 1999Totally agree with last entry, It was my first Scottish winter trip with the Stirling University MC and was nearly my last. Conditions were terrible and visibility was about 20m, Got to the top OK on...
- Log #11323 - by foinaven on Sep 06, 1999Be careful in winter - its a long way from the car in potentially arctic conditions.