|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva|
This is a easy mountain to climb. You still have to climb up 1800 meters from Zermatt. It could be
done in five hours on good stony slope and a small easy glacier under the very peak. Nice view of the
valley and of Matterhorn. Located east of Zinalrothorn.
Thanks to Oyvind Lind Petersen for this description.
The following weather information is provided for the nearest supported peak. The weather icons reflect weather conditions from the base of the mountain, while the wind, temperature and humidity reflect conditions at the summit.
Weather by meteoexploration.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Mettelhorn.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20449 - by John Irby on Oct 23, 2006I understood this was the most difficult climb you could do in Zermatt without a guide. On the way up, I passed two Americans who had been up the Grand Teton in 1982, as I had. Later, I was short on...
- Log #11393 - by Kuba on Oct 22, 2004I climbed it with my father starting from Zermatt.It took us about 4 hrs to get to the top.Nice hike.Very good for getting a little of acclimatisation.
- Log #11394 - by Brendan Howard on Oct 10, 2003Didn't actually summit, just went to the Rothorn Hut at 3200m. Still, the biggest vertical climb I've ever done in a day so far. Maginificent views of the Monte Rosa massif across the valley.
- Log #11395 - by Otto Schapendonk on Mar 11, 2002My first experience on a mountain. Nice view on a very clear day. Stayed at the top admiring the views for over one hour. Not dificult, more of a training trip.
- Log #11396 - by Richard Peterson on Sep 20, 2001Really great trip, took 11 hrs. total. We went up the day the the hut managers were moving in, and we got to see the helicopter landing next to the hut. Also a word of advice, wear pants, we wore...
- Log #11397 - by Skopas Thanasis on July 30, 2001An excellent walk from Zermat with good view.4-5 hours to the summit i think it is better from Breithorn (from Kl.Matterhorn). From the summit you can see all the valley of Zermat Matterhorn Dom M.
- Log #11398 - by
Alan Kane on Feb 23, 2000Nice hike to acclimatize a bit. Biggest surprise was the group of women hiking along with their boobs hanging out in the sun. You don't see that in the Canadian Rockies!
- Log #11399 - by R.DULIEU on Nov 29, 1999Four of us spent the night in that crack to watch the eclipse, an eventful night to say the least. The fun started when a storm started and our hair started sparking. Then a blizzard kept us occupied...
- Log #11400 - by Oyvind Lind Petersen on Sep 09, 1999If you don't like overcrowded huts, or if you don't want to spend a fortune on cableways, this is a peak for you. But still, this is not the real thing. It is the best training-trip with a nice view.