Pik Imeni Ismail Samani, formerly Pik Kommunizma (Communism Peak), is the highest peak in the Pamirs, and the highest in the former Soviet Union. It is a huge craggy mountain, heavily glaciated despite its rising above a dry, barren region. The rock is poor and the approach is difficult, but because it is the highest of all peaks in the region, climbers have been active on the mountain for decades, and a variety of routes exist to the summit. The mountain's name has a long political history. Its name was Pik Garmo until 1933, when it was changed to Pik Stalin. In 1962, it was changed to Pik Kommunizma, and in 1998 to its current name, Pik Imeni Ismail Samani. The mountain is located sixty miles southwest of Pik Lenin (23,406 ft.), which was believed to be the higher mountain until Samani was first climbed.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||1933|
|First successful climber(s):||Evgenii Abalakov - solo|
|Nearest major airport:||Tashkent, Uzbekistan, Dushanbe, Tajikistan|
|Convenient Center:||Osh, Kyrgyzstan, Dzhirgatal, Tajikistan|
There are 7 trip reports for Pik Imeni Ismail Samani.
- Log #1303 - by
Clinton on Sep 29, 2003Took the northern ridge route along the Walter glacier. Went up the Barodkin to Pamir and summit. Solid climb.
- Log #1304 - by Fredrik Ericsson on Sep 02, 2003Lots of crevasses on barodkin ridge. From Pamir Plateau up to Dushanbe peak was nice. The snow face up to summit was also nice. No ice! Skied down from summit to Valter Glacier.
- Log #1305 - by XABI on Sep 01, 2002Hola, acabo de subir el Comunismo y quisiera saber cuántos años ten'a la persona más joven del mundo que lo escaló. Yo nac' el 26 de marzo de 1981, tengo 21 años, podr'a ser yo? Otra pregunta,...
- Log #1306 - by esrafil_amani on Aug 25, 2001i am looking forward about rim wheel information. if anybody knows any things please inform me about that, with best wishes
- Log #1307 - by sanaz rezayy on Aug 24, 2001this is my prayer to thee, my lord give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.===== give me the strength never to disown the poor or bend my knees before insolent might. Latest News:...
- Log #1308 - by sanaz rezayy on Aug 24, 2001this is my prayer to thee, my lord==== give me the this is my prayer to thee, my lord==== give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.===== give me the strength never to disown the poor...
- Log #1310 - by Hartmut Bielefeldt on June 30, 1999We spent a lot of time at Pik Korzhenevskaya befrore and had only five days left to attempt Peak Communism. So it became an alpine-style ascent: All the 1700 m of Borodkin buttress in one day...