This volcano is one of Oregon Cascades, its a series of high pinnacles whose sheer pointed summits remind some of us of Swizerland's Matterhorn. Mt. Thielsen is 9178 feet tall. There is a trail to the top. Four miles of it is the PCT and the last mile is scramble, before you summit this one you come to a rock called chicken rock and that's because most turn back here only 80-100 feet from the top. At this point the rest of the trip is a vertical climb with foot and hand holds. enjoy
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Nearest major airport:||Medford|
|Convenient Center:||Fall City|
There are 12 trip reports for Mount Thielsen.
- Log #11447 - by ABA OWERRI GUYMAN on Nov 10, 2004Hi, its a nice one, i advice you have ropes for the decent. GUYMAN
- Log #11450 - by Erik Jonsson on Oct 21, 2004Climbed with Wil Kalenous, up and back to the car in 4:30. Really fun climb. Recomend a rope for the way down. You can do it without one, but its sure nice to take away all the stress.
- Log #11451 - by Rick Brown on Jan 11, 2004It's been a couple years, but I think I can remember how this went: Before we broke out of the forest, near the PCT crossing, the mosquitoes were unbearable. Up higher, with more wind, they...
- Log #11452 - by Joe Bohlig on Dec 04, 2003After a rotten night in my car at the trailhead I headed up at 7AM. On a very nice hiking trail I got my first look at the mountain, It looked awesome, very pointed, kinda like the Matterhorn. When...
- Log #11453 - by Derek Rutledge on Oct 07, 2003awesome hike. I recommend it for anyone who wants to climb a cool mountain without and all-day trek. If you think you can hack the last chimney, it's worth it. If not, the views are just as...
- Log #11454 - by
Julie/Zarita on May 26, 2003The lightening Rod of Oregon. Very steep with loose rock last 1/2 mile. Great views of Diamond Lake and the surrounding area.
- Log #11455 - by DARREN on Sep 19, 2002LOTS OF LOOSE ROCK THE LAST 1/2 MILE OF THE HIKE!
- Log #11456 - by Darshan Mayginnes on Aug 13, 2001North Face unaided crazy
- Log #11457 - by Darin McMichael on July 22, 2001Went with my younger brother and had a great trip! Started off on a cool, but sunny weekend morning. Not a bad hike.....fairly gently with some steeper areas. We cruised on up, passing several groups...
- Log #11458 - by Bryan R. Simpson on May 13, 2001Finally summited on third try. first attempt went solo and got caught in a white out just above PCT an the ridge, turned back. Second attempt just got going to late and ran out of time. Third try we...
- Log #11459 - by
Alan Kane on Jan 10, 2000So hot I started at 4 a.m. by headlamp. Nice hike, but I could see why many folks don't get up the last 80 ft. Good and solid though; that's a novelty in our Canadian Rockies.
- Log #11460 - by Jason Robertson on Sep 11, 1999the last 80 feet are the best.