|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Trondheim|
Snohetta (Snøhetta) - easy and calm. The Norwegian name of the mountain can be translated with "Snow-Hat". This will probably describe the shape of the peak among the year.
And to say the truth on the summit there is mostly snow.
The trip to the summit (elevation 2,286 m/7,500 ft) is more or less very easy to reach. Thus it is also possible to plan a whole family trip up to the top.
But certainly this depends on the season and the weather conditions.
Remember that on wintertime the trip might be much more difficulty than on summertime, because af the coldness and strong wind.
How to come there?
The mountain is located in the Dovrefjell-Nationalpark in Norway.
From Kongsvoll Railwaystation (beside the European Street E6) one follows the path to Reinheim (cabin owns by the Norwegian Tourist Club).
It takes some hours of walking from Konsvoll to Reinheim and therefore it is recommended to stay there and try the summit on the next day.
The cabin is a good place to start up to the summit. The "way" up is marked in summer as well as in winter.
So if one needs something different try the Snøhetta and maybe one can also see musks.
One very useful link to further information (only in Norwegian):
Thanks to Ralph for this description.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Snøhetta.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #11573 - by Mike Killen on Sep 08, 2002First time in my life, came face to face with a herd of musk ox - scarrey!!
- Log #11574 - by Matt Coppock on Feb 28, 2002Tried to summit Snohetta in November '90,but it proved to be to difficult,many due to the fresh snow making every step sink in the snow.Made an igloo next to the Reinham Hut and slept in my sleeping...
- Log #11575 - by Dag Gullesen on Dec 02, 2000Went from Lonstad in Sundal to motsdal-hytte. 14 hrs. Next day to Reinheim. Made dinner and had a rest. Started walking up Snøhetta 18 hrs.
- Log #17511 - by Hans - Georg Viehbrock on Mar 21, 2000Easy - normal route is just walking. Nice ski-ascent in winter (november-may).
- Log #17512 - by Sven Bugarski on Sep 19, 1999Climbed this mountain on a sunny day and got a little sunburn. I was surprised that there was snow in the middle of August at this rather low altitude. The peak was totally covered with snow, but...