This is a mountain that one can traverse. Ascend the South Ridge to Mt. Bona's 16,421' summit, then if you have skis, use them at the 15,000' saddle between Bona and Churchill for the 5,000' run to the Klutlan Glacier. Steep snow with moderate ice climbing along the ridge.
|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jun, Jul, Aug|
|Nearest major airport:||Fairbanks|
|Convenient Center:||Whitehorse and Fairbanks|
Thanks to Mark de Saint-Rat for adding this peak.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Bona.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21219 - by Donna Claus on Mar 12, 2008We live near Mt. Bona and have climbed a great number of the peaks in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. This is a great climb that has lots of exposure but isn't usually deadly.
- Log #11588 - by Thomas Paisley on Nov 05, 2004After sucessfully summiting Mount Bona on 05/31/00, My beloved brother David Duane Paisley(DOB 07/21/61) was killed on his descent. My brother fell into a crevasse and was killed. He was only 38...
- Log #11590 - by Earl Redman on Sep 03, 2004A lot of wind and ground blizzards on the upper Klutlan Glacier. We basically just repeated the original ascent, climbing through the icefalls to a saddle at west of the west shoulder at 3670 m, then...
- Log #11591 - by Larry Chapman on Nov 09, 2003A team of 5 summited Bona on June 8th, 2003. The team included Gerry Roach (Boulder, CO), Jobe Wymore (Salt Lake City, UT), Dave Covill (Evergreen, CO), Dick Ellsworth (Kotsebue, AK), and myself...
- Log #11592 - by stefan wyss and ruedi homberger on Feb 16, 2000south buttress (first climb ?)