|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1861|
|First successful climber(s):||E. Buxton, T.F. Buxton, J.J. Conwell, Guide Michel Payot and Binder|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva|
Nordend is the northmost peak of the Monte Rosa massif. It is the third highest peak in Europe, excluding the Caucasus. The ascent is 6-8 hours from the Monte Rosa hut. Most of the time is on glacier. The last part includes some modest climbing - 2+ - with some exposed parts.
Thanks to Lin Piao and Bernd Ne for this description.
The following weather information is provided for the nearest supported peak. The weather icons reflect weather conditions from the base of the mountain, while the wind, temperature and humidity reflect conditions at the summit.
Weather by meteoexploration.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 6 trip reports for Nordend.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21776 - by Christine Theodorovics on Sep 28, 2009Climbed it after Zumsteinspitze and Dufourspitze.
- Log #12010 - by
Eric on Sep 29, 2003We climbed the Cresta Santa Catherina from Città-di-Gallarate Bivy. An awesome, epic route.
- Log #12011 - by André Imboden on July 28, 2003Your mountainguide for all summits around the world. Special training and preparation for the Matterhorn.
- Log #12012 - by Antonio Coelho on Oct 21, 2002I didn't summited this peak, but my 2 friens and i, tried to open a mixed route in this north face. We reallized 250 meters, but the rock is very unestable. This route above starts above 3800 meters...
- Log #12013 - by Janos Granicz on Feb 28, 2002Karoly Barta - Janos Granicz Our route: Obere Plattje (our tent) - Monte Rosa Glacier - Scholle - Satteltole - West Ridge of the Dufourspitze - Dufourspitze - Grenzgipfel - Silbersattel - Nordend -...
- Log #12014 - by Carli Marco on Feb 02, 20012 giornate di tempo stupendo mi hanno permesso di salire per la prima volta sulla cima che da tempo desideravo vedere: la Nordend. Panorama incredibile sulla curvilinea parete est verso Macugnaga....