San Luis Peak is in the La Garita Mountains, an eastern portion of the San Juan Range. It is an easy walk-up from its two most popular approaches. The northeastern approach is via the Stewart Creek Trail. The southwestern approach is slightly longer, beginning at the West Willow Creek Trailhead, and following the Colorado Trail and Continental Divide for some portions of the route.
|Range/Region:||San Juan Mountains|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Colorado Springs|
Thanks to Kirk Mallory for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 12 trip reports for San Luis Peak.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21713 - by GLAnderson on July 06, 2009Easy, straight forward trail. Stewart Creek was incredibly terraced by beaver dams most of the lower part of the trail which I found very cool. There was no hard part to this hike, no route finding,...
- Log #20974 - by Bart Damron on Aug 24, 2007Started the day early (6:30am) with my brother and sister, hoping for a relief from 3 straight days of rain. We had camped on Skyline Trail around 10,500ft the night before, so we arrived at the...
- Log #20824 - by Patrick L. Lilly on June 11, 2007Hiked up Stewart Creek trail starting at 12:30 am with my daughter. Got above timberline by sunrise. Summitted via NW ridge at 7:10 am. A gorgeous, if cool and breezy, morning.
- Log #12201 - by Charles Liu on Sep 15, 2004Long hike from Equity Mine Trailhead near Creede. About 14 miles roundtrip. Otherwise uneventful hike on a gorgeous day.
- Log #12202 - by Liba Hardekopf on Sep 13, 2004Great fourteener to start with. Easy, most of the trail is runnable, and can be used as a training run for high altitude races. Dog friendly, just a little bit long for kids.
- Log #12203 - by don bomer on Sep 01, 2004Great hike up Cochetopa creek and super 360 deg. vista from summit.
- Log #12204 - by
Brian Taylor on Oct 01, 2003Fresh snow on the summit. Nice, remote peak. Getting to the trailhead is half the adventure.
- Log #12205 - by Brent Farlie on June 17, 2003Summited on Friday the 13th and 15 minutes later it started snowing. La Garita is superb, no one around except near San Luis Peak. Drop in to any of the drainages and you will be alone. Checked the...
- Log #12206 - by
m watkins on Mar 02, 2003a huge gravel pile
- Log #12208 - by Jason Halladay on June 26, 2001My friend Jen and I backpacked in 4 miles to 12,100 feet up Stewart Creek Basin on Friday. We took a great hike up Organ Mountain that afternoon. Saturday we left camp at 7 a.m. and were on the...
- Log #12209 - by
Matt Kirk on Nov 03, 2000Greetings 14er climbers and enthusiasts. I just wanted to let everyone know that there should be a 14ers forum coming soon at http://www.trailjournals.com. If you have the time, please come by and...
- Log #12210 - by
Kirk Mallory on Oct 07, 1999San Luis was my 20th fourteener. It was a very scenic hike along the Stewart Creek Trail with many wildflowers.