Helvellyn Trip Report (#21142)
- Signed By: Stephen Middlemiss of Barrow in Furness, Cumbria, England
- Date submitted: January 05, 2008
- Date(s) climbed: 10 Dec 2007
- Number of People Encountered:0-10 people
- Recommend to a Friend: Highly
Set off from Thirlspot on 10 Dec 2007 at 5.15 am, Objective to photograph sunrise from summit.
Cold,gentle breeze and pitch black. A little snow
and ice above 2500' mark. Reached summit at 7.15, Carlisle and Penrith were ablaze with lights, Catstye cam just visible as a sillouette. Its not
often you get helvellyn to yourself, i just sat, supped coffee and waited as the sky brightened to the southeast. A strong wind was blowing cloud
infront of the sunrise, (see photo) which added greatly to the view. At 9.00 a jogger raced over the summit and on, in the direction of Nethermost
Pike, the only person i saw until, after leaving the top at around 9.45, i reached the car at 11.15. A morning to remember.