Dom is the highest mountain of the Mischabel-group, and the highest located entirely within Switzerland. Its prominent dome shape rises above a spectacular icy north face.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1858|
|First successful climber(s):||J.L. Davies, Johann Zumtaugwald, Johann Kronig, Hieronymous Brantschen|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva or Bern, Switzerland|
|Convenient Center:||Randa, Switzerland|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 15 trip reports for Dom.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22236 - by Christine Theodorovics on Aug 21, 2011Great climb over Festigrat. Best conditions. Excellent view! Descent 3100m to Randa....
- Log #22042 - by Roy Lindman on Aug 12, 2010I started from Randa which is nearby Zermatt. One goes through Randa towards north east and turns towards south east when starting ascending. Path goes through forest about two hours and is on the...
- Log #1788 - by Bol Slowikowski on Jan 09, 2004On the principle that "the more you put in - the more you get out" I can recommend this peak. Althought not technicaly difficult, it was very long, high and exhausting. The effort was worth...
- Log #1789 - by
Chris Carol on Nov 26, 2003Climbed the Festigrat after a day of Snowfall on very good conditions and without crowds. Great and quite easy route.
- Log #1790 - by
Sebastian on Sep 10, 2003One of the best climbs I made. The mountain with the biggest height difference between summit and starting point in the whole Alps: about 3200m. On a mountain like Mont Blanc many respectless...
- Log #1791 - by Alex van Houten on Aug 18, 2003Next summer I woul like to ascent on Dom. I haven't got that much expeience in climbing. The easy 4000 peaks I have done (Allalin, Breithorn Westgipfel, and this summer Alphubel traverse over the...
- Log #1792 - by Klaus Tscherrig on June 08, 2003As a local mountainguide I offer climbs to all 4000 meter peaks in Switzerland See you soon!
- Log #1801 - by Alain Figer on Apr 19, 2003I wished to climb the Dom taking the ordinary route, since I was a soloer. However I met at the Dom Hutte a sympathetic englishman, a certain Duncan, which urged me to climb it with him taking the...
- Log #1793 - by
Spencer Fishman on Aug 07, 2002I climbed with my friend David Parker and a guide. This was our first ascent of Dom. After the glacier and rock we went up the steep route for safety (ironically) and time. It was more technical,...
- Log #1794 - by Riet Notter on Apr 02, 2002We summitted in July 1999, but before we reached the summit clouds came up and we had no view att all from the summit; what a pity!! Tehere were about 15 persons summitting, including a gruop from...
- Log #1796 - by Omahen Janez on July 29, 2001I am interesting about climbing and skiinng from the peak named DOM.I need also more information about DOM-HUTTE. Thanke you for all information.
- Log #1797 - by Berger Markus on Apr 16, 2000Easy climbe, because there wasn't snow in the rock part of the Festigrat.
- Log #1798 - by Ilario Rigon on Aug 02, 1999We were a 8 members team and we submitted the peak by the normal route. We got to the Domhutte on saturday where we spent the nigth. We started the climb early in the morning. It was a easy route but...
- Log #1799 - by Jeroen Caers on Mar 09, 1999For information, check my site about the Alps: Http://users.skynet.be/bs362742
- Log #1800 - by Stefan Weber on Jan 29, 1999We take our way using the Festigrat. Great climb !