The Gspaltenhorn is located at the head of the Kiental and the Sefinental, and is southwest of Muerren.
It is a complex limestone peak with many deep couloirs and numerous towers on its ridges. The North-East (Kilchbalm) Face is one of the highest and most continuously steep faces in the alps (about 1700 m).
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||1869|
|Nearest major airport:||Zurich or Geneva|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Gspaltenhorn.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20956 - by Tom Sweeney on Aug 16, 2007North West Ridge. AD-. Nice climb. Fixed ropes make it quite straight forward!
- Log #20913 - by Christine Theodorovics on July 31, 2007Nice climb, great weather.
- Log #12415 - by Christine Theodorovics on Aug 02, 2004excellent weather, great climb, breathtaking view on eiger, mönch, jungfrau!!!!
- Log #12416 - by Luc Fontyn on Jan 28, 2004enough fresh snow to make the NW-ridge ascent to a heavenly inspired, dark-brown voicing route! seems easier as it is and looks friendlier but it"'s tricky, some pieces are very slippery and...
- Log #12417 - by Fred Spicker on Oct 30, 1999Ascent via the NW Ridge.