The most widely used route on this peak is little over a two mile walk from the parking lot with no technical climbing. More difficult variations can be found including two pitch rock routes. The summit consists of jumbled boulders and offers views through Wyoming and into Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park.
|Range/Region:||Southern Wyoming Ranges|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Denver CO|
|Convenient Center:||Laramie, WY|
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: Southern Wyoming Ranges, Rocky Mountains, or North America. For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 10 trip reports for Medicine Bow Peak.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20652 - by David Trufant on Feb 05, 2007I climed the peak solo in Feb or March of I think 1974. At the top, there was a pipe with a sign in log in it. I sure would like to look at those records. I wonder what i wrote.
- Log #18776 - by Amy on Oct 16, 2005This was my first hike in the 10,000-12,000ft range. It was challenging enough for me, but easy enough that it wasn't frustrating. Spectacular views and beautiful geology and flora. We hiked up the...
- Log #12559 - by Ben Brooks on Aug 07, 2004The Lewis Lake Trail is shorter but steeper. Some scrambling is necessary. The total round trip trail length is a little less than four miles. The Lake Marie trail is longer but less steep.
- Log #12560 - by matt jones on Jan 12, 2004My wife is from Laramie so we have hiked this mountain several times. Her parents still live there and we love to spend time in the snowyr anytime we can. Easy hike with great views.
- Log #12561 - by Timothy Amadis on Dec 20, 2003This is very easy climb or rather hike, you basically walk up the mountain on a winding path. For rock climbers and moutaineers its best to make your own path if your seek to practice you skills. and...
- Log #12562 - by Dustin Reed on Jan 03, 20031999 was the most recent year that i went to the mountain. Medicine Bow is my favorite place in the whole world. My father would take me there when i was younger and we would hike it together, it was...
- Log #12563 - by Joy on Nov 27, 2002Easy hike ... can be done in a couple hours.
- Log #12564 - by Christopher Dorry on Sep 20, 2001Everytime has been climbed with someone different. My first ever climb was completed with Nathan Butts. The second climb completed with Bob and Ann Marie Dorry, and the most recent time with my...
- Log #12565 - by Stan Sattelberg on Dec 07, 2000On our way from Naperville, Illinois, to climb in the Yosemite high country, several of our families stopped for a night below Medicine Bow Peak. It was early in the afternoon when camp was set so a...
- Log #12566 - by
Alan Kane on Jan 21, 2000Nice easy hike in alpine surroundings and a chance to acclimatize a little for some 14'ers in Colorado on our trip down from Canada.