Psiloreitis is the highest mountain of Crete. From it's peak, Timios Stavros, you can see many places of the island. The mountain has forest in low altitude only. There were more trees about a century ago.
On the plateau named Nida, there is a cave named 'Idion Andron'. In this cave, Goddess 'Rea' hid baby 'Zeus', her son, because God 'Saturn' wanted to kill it. God 'Saturn' was afraid of 'Zeus', taking his kingship.
The International path E4 crosses the mountain. The best path to reach the peak is from plateau Nida (1400m). First you must travel from Herakleion to Nida. In the middle of your journey you pass by the traditional village Anogia. If you reach Nida you have to follow the path to Timios Stavros. It will take you 5 hours to get there.
|Best months for climbing:||Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct|
|Nearest major airport:||Herakleion|
Thanks to Nikolas Kroupis for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Psiloreitis.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #12580 - by Dave Black on Aug 25, 2004Fun ski ascent (old Silvretta's) from Nidha Plain. Bonzai descent over a lot of sastrugi & good crust. Beautiful views from the summit.
- Log #12581 - by Tim Perkin on Aug 21, 2003Climbed with my son (aged 13), starting from the Nida plain at first light (6am). The whole trip took about 10 hours, including a half hour unplanned diversion where we got a bit lost at the 2 hour...
- Log #12582 - by Peter Chisholm on Aug 20, 2003Started walking from the Nidha Plain at 05:30am just before Sunrise. Nice and cool it was. Took my time on the way up the easy to follow marked path, with plenty of stops for Photographs. Easy...
- Log #12584 - by Andreas Fink on Apr 13, 2001Very nice skiing-summit!!!, wonderful view!
- Log #12585 - by Nikolas Kroupis on Dec 08, 1999I went to peak Timios Stavros (Mt. Psiloreitis) at 1st August 1999. I was alone and I went to Nida the last day's afternoon. The villagers are visiting the peak during the sunner at night, when it's...