Mont Pelvoux is the most conspicuous mountain of the Ecrins massif, not the highest one which is nearby Barre des Ecrins (4102 m). Mont Pelvoux is constituted of several summits : Pointe Puiseux (3943 m), Pointe Durand (3932 m), Petit Pelvoux (3753 m) and Trois Dents du Pelvoux (3683 m).
The path through the Pelvoux ("Traverse du Pelvoux"), ascending Coolidge couloir and descending Glacier des Violettes may be the most beautiful snowy route of the whole Ecrins massif.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||1828|
|First successful climber(s):||Cap. A. Durand, Jacques-Etienne Matheoud, Alexis Liotard|
|Nearest major airport:||Lyon or Grenoble (and Gap)|
|Convenient Center:||Ailefroide near Briancon|
Thanks to Alain Figer for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Pelvoux.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #12587 - by Philippe Boniface on Aug 07, 2001On July 11, 2001 laurence and I paked all necessary stuff for a bivouac and spent the night on top of Pelvoux. I had climbed Pelvoux several times before but this way is definitely the best. You must...
- Log #12588 - by Dagmar Stassen on June 30, 2001Vanwege slecht weer na beklimming coolidge couloir omgedraaid op aanraden van gids. Er was nog zeer veel sneeuw aanwezig. Beter om in juli/augustus te starten. Tussen de wolken door nog zeer mooie...
- Log #12589 - by Peter van der Putten on Feb 18, 2001couloir Coolidge (PD, ordinary route) Beautiful sunrise at the summit and view at Barre, Meije and Agneaux. Together with Ilona van Meegen.
- Log #12590 - by PUISEUX on Sep 05, 2000I went there for the anniversary (140 years of the first certain ascension) 1848-1988 by my gd-gd-gd father !
- Log #12591 - by Alain Figer on Dec 05, 1999Starting from Pelvoux Hut (2700 m) at 4h 25 with Stephane and Eric we ascended Coolidge couloir along the large snow trail and summited at 7h 50 under beautiful skies ; we stayed there (3946 m) for...