|Best months for climbing:||May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Reno|
|Convenient Center:||Incline Village, Nevada|
Located in the Mt. Rose Wilderness Area of the
Toiyabe National Forest, this peak offers great views of the Lake Tahoe area, as well as Reno and the Carson Valley. Mt. Rose is the second highest peak in the Lake Tahoe area, with Mt. Freel in the South Shore area being the highest. The climb to the top is not very difficult, but does take a little time. The trail to the top is well worn and safe for travel. The trail winds through a wide valley full of small streams during the approach to the mountain. As the trail climbs the mountain, you pass through forested areas before rising above the treeline. Here, great views of the mountain range heading north are
unavailable, as well as a sight of Truckee in the distance. At the top there is a summit log and a few wind shelters built of rocks. On a clear day, there is no better view of the area. This mountain is best climbed during the late spring to fall period. Winter climbs are also possible, but caution should be used. All around, this mountain is a great peak for a good weekend climb.
Sorry, we don't currently have the latitude and longitude of Mount Rose in our database. Therefore we can't show this peak on a map.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Mount Rose.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22354 - by Bjacobs on Oct 19, 2012Took off from tailhead at 8AM. I made a little diversion over to Tamarack Peak and Mt Church before climbing to the top of Mt Rose. Beautiful 360 degree views from the top!
- Log #22353 - by Bjacobs on Oct 19, 2012I took off from the trailhead parking lot at 8AM. I made a little diversion over tfo Tamarack Peak and then over to Mt Church before making it to the top of Mt Rose. You definitely want to plan for...
- Log #12612 - by
Perry Smith on Nov 29, 2003I had always though it would be nice to try an winter assent. The day after Thanksgiving looked good - not alot of snow and the weather looked reasonable. Began at 8:00am. First 2.5 miles without...
- Log #12613 - by Danny Wasson on Nov 28, 2003Lots of snow from last weeks storm. Weather was a little warm around 9000 feet. Cool and breezy at the summit.
- Log #12618 - by Danny Wasson on Sep 09, 2003Very nice day warm at the start of the climb, and alittle cool at the top. A touch of Fall with all the trees are starting to turn.
- Log #12614 - by Brian Montes on Mar 09, 2002Nice views, a little hazy though. For better views of Tahoe try Snow Valley Peak...
- Log #12615 - by Danny Wasson on Mar 08, 2002Awsome day, just alittle to warm in the afternoon snow was alittle too soft for my liking, and I forgot the sun screen. All and All great time of year to summit the top.
- Log #12616 - by Danny Wasson on Nov 10, 2001Very mild day, temp was about 38 degrees at the summit, with just a slight breeze. I summited from the North side.
- Log #12617 - by Robert Baffrey on Sep 18, 2000The views were great and it's a really nice little hike for a little exercise.