|Best months for climbing:||Jul|
|Nearest major airport:||Barcelona|
Thanks to Jose Jurjo for adding this peak.
Pica d'Estats is the highest mountain in Catalonia. The "classical route" in summer offers a pleasant and beautiful ascent.
Additional text submitted by Marc Udina:
The climbing in Pica d'Estats is easy but very beautiful. It is the highest mountain in Catalonia. If you want to climb this peak you should follow this route:
DAY 1: Go +AMA-reu with car (It is a small town but there are hotels and food shops). After take a forest track until arrive in a refuge "Refugi de Vallferrera" (you can sleep there for 2000 pts.)
DAY 2: Wake up at 9:00 and take a way with good marks. After 3-4h you will arrive in a lake "Estany de Sotllo". There you can rest and plant the tent.
DAY 3: Wake up at 5:30. If you start the climb at 6:00 you will arrive in "Estany d'Estats" at 6:30. From there you can see the peak but it is still far... You must continue go up until arrive in "Coll de Sotllo; 2900m". After you should go for the crest (there are other way more easy but is so long...). The crest isn't hard but there are two straits some dangerous (level II+-). At 10:00 you will arrive in Peak Verdaguer (3112m.) and at 10:15 in PICA D'ESTATS! (3143m). There a foto and go down... (is better to go down for the easy way). At 14-15h you will arrive in the refuge.
Note: If you want more informacion buy Pica d'Estats map (ED. ALPINA); uf, que malament estic d'angl+AOg-s
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 6 trip reports for Pica d'Estats.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #13182 - by Lluis Muntan on June 29, 2001To climb the six pics higher than 3.000 mts in this range. I made vivac in Coma de Sotllo and early in the morning went to "Pic de Sotllo" then down to "Coll de Sotllo" "Pic de Montcalm", "Pic...
- Log #13184 - by David Ferrer on Dec 08, 2000We climbed from Tavescan till Broate by a "hobbit's forest". In Broate we slept beside a good fire. Next day,very cloudy and rainy, we climbed to the Guins de l'Ase. We taverse till coll de Sotllo...
- Log #13185 - by gerard ferrer on Nov 27, 2000I am catalan. As good they catalan, to step on our national top for the first time, moves a little. But, to the margin of the "icons" and national myths, Pica d'Estats is a magical...
- Log #13186 - by Marc Udina i Bonet on Oct 23, 2000It is a beautiful climbing recomended for everbody. Easy but whith many surprises...
- Log #13187 - by Carles Rabaneda Travé on Aug 31, 1999Better to climb it when there is still snow in the sorroundings. You know you are in the top of Catalonia, when you can't see anything higher !
- Log #13188 - by
Jose Jurjo on Aug 30, 1999Ascent in two days with a bucolic camping near a lake.