The United States Congress designated the Mt. Wrightson Wilderness Area in 1984 and it now has a total of 25,260 acres.
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Year first climbed:||N/A|
|First successful climber(s):||Pre-recorded history|
|Nearest major airport:||Tucson|
|Convenient Center:||Green Valley|
Thanks to Steven P. Sanborn for adding this peak.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
There are 14 trip reports for Mount Wrightson.
- Log #13211 - by Joshua Doten on Dec 05, 2003I really enjoyed the 360 degree views from the top of Old Baldy! Oh and so did Sam, our 6 year old Beagle!
- Log #13212 - by Bill Marshall & Michiko Swindler on Dec 04, 2003Very pretty and worthwhile climb. It's hard to imagine that only two and a half years ago we lived in Colorado at about the same elevation as this mountain.
- Log #13213 - by Barnaby Tack on Aug 18, 2003This was my fourth trip to the top. I get a little slower each year. It was sunny and calm this day. I love to see all the ladybugs at the summit.
- Log #13214 - by Charles W. Miller Ph.D. on Aug 04, 2003As warm-up for rim to rim 4 day trip across the Grand Canyon with adult backpacking group from Tucson, AZ. Spent night near summit and made summit the next morning. Windy!!!
- Log #13215 - by Armando Romero-Davis on Mar 25, 2003I went back with two other members from my Boy Scout Group after 15 years. The three of us are 30+ years, but we made it. It was good to go out with them againg and enjoy the beautiful view from the...
- Log #13216 - by Steve Courteol on Jan 12, 2003Sorry to read that the register is gone...My Dad and myself placed it there in 1988, I believe---(I'll have to check) I had my very first backpacking experience there in June 13-15 1975, when I was...
- Log #13217 - by Alvina Robertson on Nov 11, 2002This is always a great hike. I looked for the ammo box to sign the log as I have 3 times previouly but was saddened to find that it had been destroyed. Glad to have found this website.
- Log #13218 - by
Zaphod on Nov 04, 2002Fun hike. It goes on forever near the top, though. Great views of southern AZ. -
- Log #13219 - by
paonessa joey on May 15, 2002climb wisley ,ski it like a champ,have fun and be safe
- Log #13220 - by Robert Sanborn on May 14, 2002Spectacular lightning and thunder storms during the monsoon season. Mountain is a stop-off point for migrating birds and insects. Well worth the effort!
- Log #13221 - by Steven P. Sanborn on Nov 25, 2000Have summitted this Peak six other times during the 1980's. Great view of the surrounding desert from the top.
- Log #19277 - by Steve Courteol on Mar 26, 2006First climb to the summit after the Florida Fire. Heavy damage will take centuries to erase. Some green trees still sround, including one large grove above Baldy Saddle. My Webshots link shows...
- Log #20491 - by Steve on Nov 18, 2006The entire climb took about 6 hours from the base to the summit. The view from the top was incredible. About 100 miles in all directions except North (The mountains north of Tucson prevented seeing...
- Log #21147 - by Steve on Jan 09, 2008The climb was easy and not technical. Started at 0700 at the trail head and summited around 1200. The trail is well maintained by the park service. The peak is a perfect pyramid with a fabulous view...