|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1859|
|First successful climber(s):||Paul Grohmann|
|Nearest major airport:||Klagenfurt, Salzburg|
Thanks to Andreas Fink for adding this peak.
Highest mountain of the eastern "Hohe Tauern"-range, socalled "Tauernkonigin" (= queen of the "Tauern"-range), with big glaciers on the east and south slopes. Wonderful view to most peaks of Carinthia, Salzburg, Styria and eastern Tyrol and to the Julian Alps and Dolomites. Routes to the summit: From Gmnd in the Lieser-valley at the highway A 10 "Tauernautobahn" go to the Malta-valley. To climb the Hochalmspitze from the north and east go up the "Maltatal-Hochalmstra" to the dam wall "Kölnbreinsperre" (1900m). Along the reservoir walk 7,7 km west and south to the refuge "Osnabrücker Hütte" (2026m). The signed trail now leads up southeast to the saddle "Preimlscharte" (2953m) and crosses the glacier south to the lower snowy-summit. Short and easy ridge-climbing to the main-summit. In May the "Preimlscharte" can be reached directly from the dam wall with skies. To climb the Hochalmspitze from the south leave the road to the dam wall at Koschach, 4,2 km from Malta, and follow the signs to the "G��graben" or "Thomanbaueralm" or "Gievener Hütte". The asphalt road goes up 12 km to the dam of the "G-sskarspeicher" (1650m). Now use the trail to the refuge "Giessener Hütte" (2202m). 100 meters higher the trail splits, the right route leads up to the southeast ridge, the left route leads to the "Detmolder"-ridge, the southwest ridge, on which you pass the summit of the small peak "Winkelspitz" (3150m). On all routes crampons should be used, the southeast and southwest ridges include rock-climbing of the alpine grade 2.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Hochalmspitze.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #13410 - by Wolfgang Untersweg on Aug 20, 2004Nice easy to climb mountain. Gößkarspeicher - Giessener Hut - Detmolder Ridge - Summit - Steinerne Mandln - Rudolfstädter Weg - Gößkarspeicher. The insurances are in really bad conditions, so...
- Log #13411 - by Tjerk de Groot & Paul Kivit on Aug 19, 2004the mountain was fully 'aper'. long ascend over the 'steinerle mannln'. the steep firn field was not in good shape. nice klettersteig (II/III).
- Log #13412 - by Daniel Klostermann on Nov 23, 2001I was on this mountain once. It was really long. I needed 5 hours to got up the mountain. It`s my highest mountain.
- Log #13413 - by Michiel van der Meer on Oct 29, 2001We had about 25 centimeter of snow on the summit! This is incledible for september. The whether and the view were extremely nice that day.
- Log #13414 - by Andreas Fink on Jan 30, 2000I summited Hochalmspitze 3 times, every time I had great weather and a wonderful view. 1st time: ascent souteast-ridge, descent southwest-ridge; 2nd climb: southwest-ridge time up and down; 3rd time...