|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
Hoher Dachstein is the main peak of the Dachsteingruppe, the highest peak of Styria and Upper Austria (two of the nine Austrian provinces) and also the second highest peak of the Northern Limestone Alpes. Is a lofty, rugged and beautiful peak, with glaciers to the North and a steep rock face to the south. Geographically, is the most northern and eastern point of the European Alps with glaciers, offering a wonderful view over wide parts of eastern Austria. Gosau-, Schladminger and Hallstättergletscher have been painting motives for 19th century romantic painters (e.g. F.Waldmüller). The standard route leads from Hunerkogel (which can be reached by cablecar) over the Hallstätter Gletscher and the "Felsensteig" to the peak (via ferrata with iron bolts, easy climbing but pretty steep, harness might be useful) . Another route of similar difficulty is the western ridge, which in fact can be combined with the "Felsensteig" to a superb traverse.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Hoher Dachstein.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21498 - by Alexander Haupt on Oct 29, 2008Solo ascent via Hallstaedt glacier and Randkluft via ferrata. Crampons were useful for descent in steep slippery snow. Helmet mandatory. Early start required to avoid over crowdedness (extreme...
- Log #13476 - by Arnold Neubauer on Sep 09, 2003The correct height of the Hoher Dachstein is 3004m and not 2996m as it is frequently misreported!
- Log #13475 - by Ryszard and Tomasz Wichary on Sep 08, 2003We climbed this peak which was completely obscured by clouds, was cold and rain but the way is very exciting for me.
- Log #13474 - by Ryszard and Tomasz Wichary on Sep 07, 2003We climbed to the summit from Hallstaetter Gletscher in completely mist, and we had some troubles to find an entry to the rock. Then there was a piece of easy climbing. Caution for the side crevass!!
- Log #13477 - by Jan Jiskra on June 18, 2001We started at Hallstadt and spent the night at Wiesberghaus. We reached the summit second day in very cold and foggy weather via northeast route. Crampoons were great benefit. Jan
- Log #13478 - by Ernst Riha on Jan 08, 2001Suedwandhuette - Via Ferrata DER JOHANN - Dachstein. Dont miss doing this route if you like iron-ways! firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.klettersteig.
- Log #13479 - by Thomas Weghofer on Dec 01, 2000From the Hotel Turlwandhutte to the Dachsteinsudwandhutte and up to the Hunerkogel, over the glacier and the so called Schultersteig (east ridge) on the top. Nice day but a bit cloudy!