|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Apr, Oct, Nov, Dec|
|First successful climber(s):||none of record|
|Nearest major airport:||La Paz EL Alto|
|Convenient Center:||La Paz|
Chacaltaya is a nearest and best accesible 5000 mts andean peak from La Paz. There is a small glacier with world's highest ski lift and the only one in equatorial zone.
Thanks to Petr Vondracek for this description.
The following weather information is provided for the nearest supported peak. The weather icons reflect weather conditions from the base of the mountain, while the wind, temperature and humidity reflect conditions at the summit.
Weather by meteoexploration.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 15 trip reports for Chacaltaya.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21864 - by Koen on Jan 24, 201010 dollar cab ride to the hut at 5000 meter, from there its about 1 hour to the summit. Good acclimatisation trip.
- Log #21211 - by Adriano Petrachi on Mar 06, 2008Short walk.
- Log #20921 - by Christine Theodorovics, Matthieu Lebeurre on July 31, 2007Went up by bus and then walked for a bit to reach the peak.
- Log #20625 - by Herbert Sulzer on Jan 24, 2007I was on the summit with my father roughly 40 years ago beeing 8 years old. I remember the cold and was pretty tired as we drove back to la Paz in the evening :-)
- Log #13656 - by Nathan on Sep 06, 2004My father and I hired a guide and driver to drive us to the ski hill in style in a 1997 Diesel Toyota Landcruiser, which is, by the way, the only way to travel in Central and South America. Once we...
- Log #13657 - by
Tacio Philip Sansonovski on Sep 05, 2004This is a mountain very near from La Paz e very good to aclimatation. I think it's the easier 5000 meter peak to reach the top! :-) (but with great view!)
- Log #13658 - by Wolfgang Untersweg on May 04, 2004Nice easy half day tour outside of La Paz. Really nice views of the north of the altiplano. Under goog conditions you can see lago titicaca.
- Log #13659 - by Francois astier on June 25, 2003DO NOT TAKE THIS COMPANY !!! ANDES EXPEDICIONES Av. Camacho Nº 1377 Edif. Saenz Piso 3º fono: ( 591- 2 ) 2319655 - 2202983 Fax: ( 591 - 2 ) 2392344 P.O. Box 12287 La Paz Bolivia www.
- Log #13660 - by Tacio Philip Sansonovski on June 24, 2003Very easy mountain, good to aclimatation before attack the other mountains. Wonderful view!!! My first snow summit!
- Log #13661 - by Andreas Ruh on July 16, 2002easy to walk - but a great view to Huayna Potosi and some smaller lakes
- Log #13663 - by Sven Bugarski on July 07, 2002There is no public transport to Chacaltaya, but one can join a relatively cheap private tour (around US$ 10) to Chacaltaya. The car/bus goes up to the hut at 5260m (!!!) of altitude. Be sure to have...
- Log #13664 - by matt bond on Dec 29, 2001the easiest 5000er I've ever climb. You get to 5100 m by car ja, ja, ja... but good for acclimatization. We climb Huayna Potosi afterwards, by the way we took Bolivian Journeys on Sagarnaga 363 good...
- Log #13665 - by Erin Weiss, Tracy Brigham on Sep 05, 2001Just out of high school when my sister and I headed to Peru and Bolivia. The whole time up Chac I was looking at Huayana Potosi saying "someday..." Me encantan los picos do Bolivia y voy a...
- Log #13666 - by Thue Pontoppidan on Jan 02, 2001Went to the skihut at 5200m with one of the plenty bus trips from La Paz (approx. 2hrs). Horrible road! Summitted from the skihut along the ridge left of the glacier to the summit about 200m higher....
- Log #13667 - by Petr Vondracek on Mar 24, 2000I visited Chacaltaya with Club Andino Boliviano for USD 10. It is a 30 km scenic drive from La Paz 3700 mts higher and higher through El Alto 4010 mts (World's highest city) and many zig zag curves...