|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1855|
|First successful climber(s):||Z. Bosniachi, W. Grzegorzek|
|Nearest major airport:||Tatry-Poprad, Slovakia|
|Convenient Center:||Tatranska Lomnica, Slovakia, Zakopane, Poland|
Gerlach is the highest peak in the Carpathian Mountains. It rises in the Slovik portion of Tatransky National Park, which straddles the border between Slovakia and Poland. The high peaks of the Tatra Mountains, from which the national park gets its name, are rugged rock peaks with a dramatic jagged crestline. They rise in a sudden cluster like an island of peaks in the surrounding valleys. Gerlach is only slightly higher than other Tatra peaks, but the entire region is impressive in its steepness and its character.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 22 trip reports for Gerlach.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #2295 - by Peter Csizmadia on Oct 26, 2004I climbed the south ridge alone, from peak Kotol (2367m). Kotol is about 3.5 hours hike from Tatranska Polianka (Tátraszéplak, 1000m), where I started in the morning. The ridge leading to Gerlach...
- Log #2296 - by Rachel Crolla on Aug 05, 2004With an early start it is possible to climb Gerlach in a day setting out from the road at vysoke hagy up past batisova lake. We found route finding a bit difficult but the scrambling was fun and this...
- Log #2297 - by Krist0f on July 21, 2004An easy and nice Tatra climb, easy to get lost while descending. Enjoy!
- Log #2298 - by Tomek Świst on Dec 25, 2003I was climbing Gerlach alone from Batyzowiecka Valley and coming back down the same way . Great high mountain adventure ! It's quite difficult to reach the top of Gerlach without Slovak Tatra...
- Log #2299 - by Kuba on Aug 30, 2003Slept in Batyzowiecka near the Batyzowiecka Proba ;At 6.00 AM I began to climb normal route;I summited 7.20 AM;Nice view and of course I was alone;)
- Log #2300 - by Linas on Aug 29, 2003There is a video. Click "V I D E O" under the map there (mpg, 4,6MB, 52s).
- Log #2301 - by Bakó Barna on May 26, 2003Meg kell másznod a hegyet ha látni akarod a sikságot...
- Log #2303 - by Pato Erdely on Dec 29, 2002I, Jirka, Radim and Michal have reached the summit from the east side (Velicka) and went down on the west side (Batizovska). Start at 1600m: 6:30, summit: 14:40. Weather: beautifull - inversion.
- Log #2304 - by Ludovic-Iulian Vieru on Dec 19, 2002Very nice!!We were 4 romanian climbers!Slovaks said that is necessary to take a guide(we paid 23$each),or you will pay more if mountain police will catch you...maybe a bad joke...I don't know...The...
- Log #2305 - by BADEA GHEORGHE on Dec 04, 2002We are 5 climbers and we want to climb The Gerlachovska summit in dec.2002 I want to now if you can sent as some informations. Thank's
- Log #2307 - by Linas on Dec 03, 2002The day was misty. Near the very top there is another rock of the same hight. Our guide Vinco said that there is no fines if somebody was cached alone ascending Gerlach.
- Log #2308 - by Ivan Petik on May 31, 2002A beautiful mountain, but hard to find recent info on routes, easy to get lost in bad weather and routes have a lots of variations, so it's hard to tell which path to follow. Locals recommend hire a...
- Log #2309 - by Pato Erdely on Apr 15, 2002I was on the summit of Gerlach on my 21st birthday. I was alone, without rope, ice axe, or crampons. Next winter, I'm going to ski it down. Who will come with me? And I'm searching for a partner...
- Log #2310 - by Marek Twardowski on Apr 11, 2002marvellous view!
- Log #2311 - by Jasiek on Mar 30, 2001I was on Gerlach on my 21st birthday... Fantastic gift!
- Log #2312 - by JoAnn (Labak) Spitek on Mar 10, 2001My father always spoke of the Carpathian Mountains and I wanted to see the country where he came from.
- Log #2314 - by Piotr G. Mielus on July 20, 2000I did it in ancient times in a fog. Very nice rock so everyone should try it. I encourge all readers to try less visited peaks as well. Tatra is an excellent place for "out of the routes"...
- Log #2315 - by Martin Berka on May 02, 2000There are several routes up, most common one from the Velicka valley on the east side of the mountain, descending later to Batizovska valley on the west side. It takes about 6-8 hours return and...
- Log #2316 - by Dariusz T. Oczkowicz on Nov 22, 1999Hi, I'm looking for people interessted in climbing on Gerlach in the time of June 2000. Would very appreciate it, if you contact me or visit my tatra web site at www.arsdigital.de/taty/index.
- Log #2317 - by Ivan Baricic on Aug 16, 1999The classical route takes from the cottage Sliezsky dom (about 1800 m), through i.e. 'Velicka proba' onto the top (3-4 hours), and through i.e. 'Batizovska proba' back. Unless you are registered...
- Log #2318 - by Grzechu Grupinski on Nov 19, 1998I summited Gerlach alone, in the winter. The weather was brillant.
- Log #2319 - by Marian LIPTAK on Oct 16, 1998The guide is very expensive.