|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1857|
|First successful climber(s):||Benjamin Felley, Maurice Felley, Jouvence Bruchez|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva, Switzerland|
|Convenient Center:||Bourg St. Pierre, Switzerland|
Grand Combin is a great snowy mass, located in the far west of the Pennine Alps, just north of the Italian border. It is approached through beautiful solitary Alpine valleys. In addition to the main summit, Grand Combin has a second and smaller summit appropriately called Petit Combin (12,047 ft.), located three miles northwest.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 11 trip reports for Grand Combin.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22230 - by Stephen Klemich on Aug 18, 2011Two of us climbing. Departed Valsory Hut at 3:30am. Climbed west ridge. Summit high peak 9am.
- Log #2454 - by MARCO BROGLIO on July 03, 2004First best compliments for your web site. The Grand Combin is a wanderfull mountain tahat I can see from my window in Aosta every day. I summitted the peak from Switzerland side (north) because a lot...
- Log #2455 - by
Mathew Zeller on Sep 11, 200321 hours from and to the Cabane de Pannossiere! Because two of us were not as experienced we belayed the whole flank, costing time. But weather was fine, we were alone on such a huge and beautiful...
- Log #2456 - by Stefan Weber on Sep 21, 2001Going up the NW-Ice-wall (Vanis Route). Superb conditions, we don't need a rope at any time. One of the most beautiful mountains I ever climbed.
- Log #2457 - by res blum on June 17, 2001By sking, one of the greatest Peaks in the alps. The dimensions are enourmous and the sights to the Mont Blanc is fantastic.
- Log #2458 - by Brom on Dec 12, 2000started at 1am, only because i was too cold to sleep anyway (bivid on the corbassiere glcier). anyhew, tres cold and lovely sunny day, perhaps the coldest day i've ever had, but we topped out at...
- Log #2459 - by Hartmut Bielefeldt on June 23, 2000We climbed up the south face from Cabane de Valsorey, and down the "new normal route" in the NW face, returning to Valsorey via Col du Meitin. The south face is mostly steep scree and quite...
- Log #2460 - by Trevor Clarke on Sep 21, 1999Ascent by the South Ridge to the Valsorey Summit then across to the main summit. A beautiful day with a little fresh snow to give it that extra sparkle. Descent by North West Face - what a serac...
- Log #2461 - by Riccardo Cinguino on Aug 02, 1999Summit reached by Sud (ISLER) and descended by North path.
- Log #2462 - by Silvio Bertone on July 30, 1999Superbe ascent, icy below the seracs. Summitted in stormy weather conditions. Had to pay attention on the way back to find the correct path. The snow was absolutely horrible for skiing .
- Log #2463 - by Andrea Girardi on May 31, 1999Great Ascension!! The dangerous corridor is avoided via another route with hard snow and an Ice passage. Summited with ski.